all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* printing with Emacs 21.3 and gsprint under Vista
@ 2009-04-01 12:24 Heinz Tuechler
From: Heinz Tuechler @ 2009-04-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,

because of a broken computer I had to change to a new one, which runs
under Vista. Under XP I had no problem to print from Emacs 21.3 and gsprint.
Now, if I chose postscript print buffer, I see "Printing...done", but
nothing happens.
Just to prevent more search and trials, may I ask, if it is in
principle possible to print from Emacs 21.3 under Vista.

Thanks,

Heinz

* Re: printing with Emacs 21.3 and gsprint under Vista
       [not found] <mailman.4386.1238588676.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-02 16:50 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-04-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heinz Tuechler wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> because of a broken computer I had to change to a new one, which runs
> under Vista. Under XP I had no problem to print from Emacs 21.3 and
> gsprint.
> Now, if I chose postscript print buffer, I see "Printing...done", but
> nothing happens.
> Just to prevent more search and trials, may I ask, if it is in principle
> possible to print from Emacs 21.3 under Vista.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Heinz

I'm sure it's possible, probably even with postscript printing. If the
instructions here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrintingFromEmacs

don't help, then follow link "PrintFromBrowser." That method is easier
for me. That puts a new item under Menu>Files, "Quick Print (Using Browser)"

Also you should probably update to Emacs 22.3. It can be installed right
on top of 21.3. It will overlay it with newer files.

Ed

* Re: printing with Emacs 21.3 and gsprint under Vista
@ 2009-04-02 21:00   ` Heinz Tuechler
From: Heinz Tuechler @ 2009-04-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: B. T. Raven, help-gnu-emacs

Thank you Ed,

In the meantime I followed the instructions, you mentioned and it
works. It was my fault not to try them immediately, because I could
not understand, why my earlier settings, which worked well under XP,
did not the equally under Vista.
Long time ago, I considered to update to 22.3. I would like to
install it in parallel to 21.3, but I could not find out, how to
manage it because both would read the same .emacs configuration file
and as far as I remember they would need to be different. In case
there is a possibility to make Emacs 22.3 read a configuration file
named different or stored in a different directory, I would be happy to know.
In any case, thank you for your response.

Heinz

@ 2009-04-02 21:05     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]       ` <e01d8a50904021405j3481bb32t8e363595d05d9ce7@mail.gmail.com >
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-04-02 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Heinz Tuechler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

> Long time ago, I considered to update to 22.3. I would like to install it in
> parallel to 21.3, but I could not find out, how to manage it because both
> would read the same .emacs configuration file and as far as I remember they
> would need to be different. In case there is a possibility to make Emacs
> 22.3 read a configuration file named different or stored in a different
> directory, I would be happy to know.

Just split your .emacs and do something like

      (cond
       ( (equal emacs-version "21.3.1")
         (setq custom-file "~/.emacs-cust-21.3.el"))
       ( t
         (setq custom-file "~/.emacs-cust-cvs.el")
         ))
      (when (file-exists-p custom-file)
        (load custom-file)))

@ 2009-04-03  8:56         ` Heinz Tuechler