The overwrite with "bar" was caused by me: hitting return on rename and not typing "bar1". I will try out the Edebug and get back to you later. As to the sequence I usually do, you are very close. I usually already have the dired buffer open from before. It is: C-x b Bernie down arrow to someFile R newName RET (in minibuffer after "Rename someFile to: ~/" ) -Bernie Eli Zaretskii wrote: >>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:54:07 -0400 >>From: Bernard Stumpf >>CC: 11902@debbugs.gnu.org >> >>I have not noticed any sensitivity to the characters in "newname". I >>just created a file named "foo" and did an R to "foo1" - the line >>disappeared. >> >> > >OK. > > > >>I did the same with file "bar" to "bar1". Here's output in *Messages* >>... >>(New file) >>Saving file c:/Users/bernie/bar... >>Wrote c:/Users/bernie/bar >>Overwrite `c:/Users/bernie/bar'? [Type yn!q or C-h] [5 times] >> >> > >Any idea what that "Overwrite" message was about? > > > >>As to using Edebug: I don't know Edebug. Is there a way to set >>breakpoints inside emacs from emacs? >> >> > >Edebug _is_ used from inside Emacs. For example, to step through >dired-do-redisplay and dired-update-file-line, you do this: > > emacs -Q > M-x load-library dired-aux.el RET > C-x d some/directory RET > C-x C-f path/to/dired-aux.el RET > go to the function dired-do-redisplay > with cursor inside dired-do-redisplay's body, type: > M-x edebug-defun RET > >This instruments dired-do-redisplay, such that when it is called, the >debugger kicks in automatically. Think if this as a kind of a >breakpoint you set on the function. > >Now, go to the Dired buffer to the line of the file you want to rename >and press "R". Emacs will pop up a window with the source of >dired-do-redisplay, with a small arrow at the left showing the current >line. Typing SPC repeatedly will step through the code one Lisp form >at a time, and will also show in the echo area the result of >evaluating each form, so you can track what Emacs does and why. To >step into dired-update-file-line, type 'i' when you get just before >the form that calls that function; then step through >dired-update-file-line by repeatedly typing SPC again. > >Easy enough, isn't it? > >>From what you describe, I'd expect that dired-update-file-line deletes >the line of the file being renamed, but then doesn't add the line for >the new file, for some reason. The addition is done by >dired-add-entry, which dired-update-file-line calls; you can step into >it by typing 'i' again. > >The information you obtain by stepping through these functions will >probably get us much closer to resolving the problem, if not point out >the problem right away. > >And just for the record: the way to reproduce the problem on that >machine is just the following sequence, and nothing else, right? > > emacs -Q > C-x d RET > go to some file > type R foo RET > >There's nothing else you do except the above sequence, correct? > >Thanks. >