all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
@ 2012-07-11 13:36 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-11 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philipp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp@haselwarter.org> writes:
 > It'd be neat if there were different ways to navigate through the ring;
 > when I discovered Toby Cubitt's excellent undo-tree-mode it somewhat
 > revolutionized my editing habits. I imagine that having a tree-like
 > representation of the marks that allows to easily navigate back and
 > forth would be very pleasant.

Not sure about sideways navigation, but at least going back and forward
between marks would be an improvement.

The distinction between local and global mark rings also, I think,
complicates things.

[parent not found: <mailman.4232.1341639863.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
@ 2012-07-07 15:27 Dmitry Gutov
       [not found] ` <mailman.4283.1341718129.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-07 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notbob; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

 > On 2012-07-07, Francesco Mazzoli <f@mazzo.li> wrote:
 >> I use `C-<SPC> C-<SPC>' to set the mark, and `C-u C-<SPC>' to jump
 >> back. No registers involved.
 >
 > I occasionally do something stupid like hit the wrong keystroke, usually
 > C-e, which puts me at the end of the line.  I was somewhat sure there
 > was an equally simple keystroked to return me to where I once was
 > where.  NO!?  If not, I'm bummed.  I thought emacs was "powerful".
 > Seems a simple function.  And by GOD, can't let vi outdo on this!

Can vi undo just any navigation command?

* Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
@ 2012-07-07 13:39 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ckkashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

 > I need some tips for quick jumping around. As in, say I'm editing a
line and
 > need to go up a couple of paragraphs to edit something and then
resume at my
 > original position.
 > The way I used to accomplish this in Vi was using mm to mark the current
 > position into m register and then go somewhere and come back by
pressing 'm

 > Now, I know that in emacs I can do it using C-x-r-<SPC> to mark a
position into
 > a register and then jump back to it usng C-x-r-j ... is there a
better way?
 > Rather, what's a better way?

You can try this package:
https://github.com/dgutov/point-stack/blob/master/point-stack.el

It's a more general solution for back-and-forth navigation, but you can
also save any position manually with a hotkey.

--Dmitry

* Tips for quick jumping back and forth
@ 2012-07-07  5:43 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2012-07-07  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)