all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Samuel Bronson <naesten@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:15:11 -0700	[thread overview]

On 07/08/2012 07:10 AM, Samuel Bronson wrote:

> I don't really know how to go about investigating that, short of building GCC manually

I wasn't thinking of anything that drastic -- just
compile with gcc -E instead of gcc -c and look
to see what happened to the pragmas, something like that.

I just now tried with stock Ubuntu 12.04, i.e.,
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3, with
its bundled GNUstep libraries, and did not observe
either the regex.c -Wunused-macros warnings or the
-Wformat-security warnings.  So this is not merely
a GCC 4.7.1 issue, for whatever that's worth.  I
did see a passle of other warnings.  Perhaps the
warnings that you're observing come up only after
you fix the ones I saw?

I do want to focus on GCC 4.7.1, though.  In my experience
older GCCs are rife with bugs in this area, and it's not
worthwhile to contort code to avoid them.