all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 13:25 Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
highlighting on a region only?

This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.

Alexandre

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 13:40 ` XeCycle
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
> highlighting on a region only?
>
> This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.

C-x n n

Or a more complex C-x 4 c.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 14:04   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-05-09 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
>> highlighting on a region only?
>>
>> This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.
>
> C-x n n
>
> Or a more complex C-x 4 c.

How does that address the question? Is there some way to then have it
auto mode to the correct syntax hiliting in the narrowed region?

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 14:19   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]   ` <mailman.850.1336573196.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-05-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> writes:

> At my last job I had to work with HTML that was heavily laden with JavaScript, so something similar was very useful for me.
> I wrote a post-command-hook to see if the point had moved into a region of JavaScript and, if it had, then change to JavaScript mode.
>
> If your regions of shell code have reasonably consistent delimiters, then doing the same thing should not be too difficult.
>
> ,Doug

nxhtml might be good for you too.

* RE: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 14:19 ` Doug Lewan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.850.1336573196.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.847.1336571158.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-05-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

At my last job I had to work with HTML that was heavily laden with JavaScript, so something similar was very useful for me.
I wrote a post-command-hook to see if the point had moved into a region of JavaScript and, if it had, then change to JavaScript mode.

If your regions of shell code have reasonably consistent delimiters, then doing the same thing should not be too difficult.

,Doug

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 14:32     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-09 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
>>> highlighting on a region only?
>>>
>>> This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.
>>
>> C-x n n
>>
>> Or a more complex C-x 4 c.
>
> How does that address the question? Is there some way to then have it
> auto mode to the correct syntax hiliting in the narrowed region?

Of course you can do something to narrow functions, but running
them manually is not very hard.

--

@ 2012-05-09 14:55   ` Alexandre Oberlin
       [not found]     ` <mailman.878.1336621531.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried to check if one of those solutions would work at least while
editing but none does. Actually in the narrowed region or cloned buffer
the syntax highlighting seems to take into account the unseen text to
set the highlighting. I need to copy the sh region to a new file to get
the correct syntax highlighting.

Alexandre

( On 05/09/2012 03:40 PM, XeCycle wrote:
> Alexandre Oberlin<please@nospam.com>  writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
>> highlighting on a region only?
>>
>> This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.
>
> C-x n n
>
> Or a more complex C-x 4 c.

* RE: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 14:56     ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-05-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Well, dang!

Gotta love emacs. If you need something, someone else has almost certainly thought of it and probably already built it.

,Doug

       [not found] ` <mailman.849.1336573028.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-09 15:05   ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Doug for your answer.

Actually changing the mode of the buffer (be it narrowed, cloned or not)
does not consistently help, because even if it is not seen, the non code
text impacts on the code highlighting.

Even with standalone code blocks or delimiters, I can't see how to get
this to work without commenting out the non code sections.

Alexandre

On 05/09/2012 04:19 PM, Doug Lewan wrote:
> At my last job I had to work with HTML that was heavily laden with JavaScript, so something similar was very useful for me.
> I wrote a post-command-hook to see if the point had moved into a region of JavaScript and, if it had, then change to JavaScript mode.
>
> If your regions of shell code have reasonably consistent delimiters, then doing the same thing should not be too difficult.
>
> ,Doug

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.850.1336573196.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-09 15:19     ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 05/09/2012 04:19 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
> nxhtml might be good for you too.

The concept should be generalized...

Alexandre

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 15:40     ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed another problem when switching even temporarily to sh mode:
the Enriched mode formatting goes away and does not come back.

Alexandre

On 05/09/2012 05:05 PM, Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
> Thanks Doug for your answer.
>
> Actually changing the mode of the buffer (be it narrowed, cloned or not)
> does not consistently help, because even if it is not seen, the non code
> text impacts on the code highlighting.
>
> Even with standalone code blocks or delimiters, I can't see how to get
> this to work without commenting out the non code sections.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 05/09/2012 04:19 PM, Doug Lewan wrote:
>> At my last job I had to work with HTML that was heavily laden with
>> JavaScript, so something similar was very useful for me.
>> I wrote a post-command-hook to see if the point had moved into a
>> region of JavaScript and, if it had, then change to JavaScript mode.
>>
>> If your regions of shell code have reasonably consistent delimiters,
>> then doing the same thing should not be too difficult.
>>
>> ,Doug

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 16:11       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2012-05-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[ ... ]

maybe try this:

https://github.com/purcell/mmm-mode

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.849.1336573028.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-09 16:37 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-05-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> writes:

> Is there a possibility to benefit of sh (or whatever) syntax
> highlighting on a region only?
>
> This could be useful when editing a list of instructions containing codes.

There are mmm-mode and mumamo-mode (plus perhaps a few others)

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 16:42       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-05-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <eWvqr.501$9Q6.344@newsfe18.iad>,
 Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2012 04:19 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
> > nxhtml might be good for you too.
>
> The concept should be generalized...
>
> Alexandre

There's something called mmm-mode, for multiple major modes.  I use it
with PHP embedded in HTML.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-09 21:01         ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-09 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With 3 advises I must try it.
Sounds great.

Thanks a lot,

Alexandre

  On 05/09/2012 06:42 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<eWvqr.501$9Q6.344@newsfe18.iad>,
>   Alexandre Oberlin<please@nospam.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 05/09/2012 04:19 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>>> nxhtml might be good for you too.
>>
>> The concept should be generalized...
>>
>> Alexandre
>
> There's something called mmm-mode, for multiple major modes.  I use it
> with PHP embedded in HTML.

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-10  3:44     ` XeCycle
       [not found]     ` <mailman.878.1336621531.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-10  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandre Oberlin <please@nospam.com> writes:

> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I tried to check if one of those solutions would work at least
> while editing but none does. Actually in the narrowed region or
> cloned buffer the syntax highlighting seems to take into account
> the unseen text to set the highlighting. I need to copy the sh
> region to a new file to get the correct syntax highlighting.

Apart from multiple modes, you can try working with Org mode,
which gives a nice way of embedding source code in documents.

--

@ 2012-05-13  3:26       ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2012-05-13  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 10, 8:44 am, XeCycle <XeCy...@Gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexandre Oberlin <ple...@nospam.com> writes:
> > Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> > I tried to check if one of those solutions would work at least
> > while editing but none does. Actually in the narrowed region or
> > cloned buffer the syntax highlighting seems to take into account
> > the unseen text to set the highlighting. I need to copy the sh
> > region to a new file to get the correct syntax highlighting.
>
> Apart from multiple modes, you can try working with Org mode,
> which gives a nice way of embedding source code in documents.

Yes orgmode, specifically babel, is probably the most stable and
sophisticated solution
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html

More lightweight is eepitch http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eepitch.el.html
If you dont mind hackish and not heavily documented

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
@ 2012-05-13  5:19         ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2012-05-13  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 13, 8:26 am, rusi <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snipped>
> More lightweight is eepitchhttp://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eepitch.el.html
> If you dont mind hackish and not heavily documented

Sorry jumped in without thinking.
OP asked about syntax highlighting.

eepitch does not do this at all (as far as I know).
And orgmode uses indirect buffers for that. One may or may not like
this as much as a (working) multiple mode.

* Re: sh mode for region only ?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.878.1336621531.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-14 20:33       ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

org mode indeed seems to offer a realm of possibilities I still have to
explore:
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.it/2009/05/writing-and-blogging-with-org-mode.html

Cheers,

Alexandre