Le 19/04/2012 16:17, Tassilo Horn a écrit : > Carlos Aguilar writes: > > Hi Carlos, > >> I often use doc-view mode with medium to large pdf/ps/dvi files, when >> writing/modifying latex documents. > Yes, frequently changing documents are clearly not the prime use-case > for doc-view, exactly because of the reasons you mention. Do you use > AUCTeX for writing your documents? If yes, then preview-latex might be > exactly what you need. > > ,----[ (info "(preview-latex)Top") ] > | preview-latex is a package embedding preview fragments into Emacs > | source buffers under the AUCTeX editing environment for LaTeX. It uses > | `preview.sty' for the extraction of certain environments (most notably > | displayed formulas). Other applications of this style file are > | possible and exist. > `---- > Ummm I suppose I am a bit of a maniac I really feel unconfortable if I don't have the real pdf in front of me and can go back and forward to check the global aspect of the document ... >> I wondered if it would be possible to keep a set of signatures of the >> pdf/ps/dvi pages processed so that those that are unchanged are not >> reconverted to (already existing) bitmap images. > Um, I have no idea how to do that. Doc-view only knows the PNG images > generated from the original document, and you can't compare those with > pages in the document. > > Well, it also has the old document's contents in the current buffer and > the updated document is on the file system, so in theory it could also > compare the documents. But I have no clue how to do that. Googling > around, I've found http://www.qtrac.eu/comparepdf.html, but I'm not sure > if it does the trick. (Oh, and of course if the comparison of the docs > is not significantly cheaper than a reconversion, there's no sense in > doing so. ;-)) Of course it must be MUCH cheaper. I have tried to use pdftk burst (which splits almost instantaneously a pdf file in a set of files with one page each) with two closely different versions of a large pdf. The idea was : if the pdf for each file is exactly the same when pages are unchanged just a checksum will do the test (and be very significantly cheaper than a reconversion). The resulting pdf files are close for each page but different. Maybe there is a workaround with pdftk or directly with gs ... but before doing that the question is : Would you change doc-view if it is possible to find a (simple enough) way to obtain the functionality I am talking about ? Or do you believe this is uninteresting/dangerous/outofscope ? cheers, Carlos > Bye, > Tassilo