all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Writing GNU Emacs Extensions
@ 2012-03-15 15:53 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-03-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently got a copy of this book, but see it was written in 1997 --
does anyone have this, and know how out of date it is? Mostly I'm
reading it to get a better grasp of elisp practices, so if the language
structure has changed significantly I won't bother…

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-03-06 on pellet

* Re: Writing GNU Emacs Extensions
@ 2012-03-15 16:14 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-03-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-03-15 16:53, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I recently got a copy of this book, but see it was written in 1997 --
> does anyone have this, and know how out of date it is? Mostly I'm
> reading it to get a better grasp of elisp practices, so if the language
> structure has changed significantly I won't bother…

I have never read the book, but if it's from 1997, it's pretty dated.  I
wouldn't really rely heavily on _any_ information in it.

* Re: Writing GNU Emacs Extensions
@ 2012-03-15 17:51 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-03-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I recently got a copy of this book, but see it was written in 1997 --
> does anyone have this, and know how out of date it is? Mostly I'm
> reading it to get a better grasp of elisp practices, so if the
> language
> structure has changed significantly I won't bother…

Do you know this one:

   https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/

It is very nicely written, but it is an introduction to non-programmers,
which might make it annoying for people with lots of experience.

–Rasmus

--
Got mashed potatoes. Ain't got no T-Bone. No T-Bone

* Re: Writing GNU Emacs Extensions
@ 2012-03-16  0:36   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-03-16  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 16 2012, Rasmus wrote:

>> I recently got a copy of this book, but see it was written in 1997 --
>> does anyone have this, and know how out of date it is? Mostly I'm
>> reading it to get a better grasp of elisp practices, so if the
>> language
>> structure has changed significantly I won't bother…
>
> Do you know this one:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/
>
> It is very nicely written, but it is an introduction to non-programmers,
> which might make it annoying for people with lots of experience.
>
> –Rasmus

Thanks -- that is a little more basic than I wanted. The book has a
lot of good practical advice for writing major modes and other larger
customizations, but it's probably too old to rely on.