all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Re: Elusive buffer(s).
@ 2011-12-29 19:55 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-12-29 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: osv; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > That's clear, thanks, but then for the bug report I've mentioned below
 > the question remains. How pcl-cvs managed to create and _select_ the
 > *cvs* buffer without it appearing in the frame-local buffer list? Is it
 > still a bug? Emacs or pcl-cvs one?

If you told me which function call is responsible for displaying that
buffer, I could try to look what happens.  Probably only very few people
nowadays use pcl-cvs and that's why no one so far responded to your bug
report.

 > I don't have Emacs 24 yet, but even if I had I can't see right now how I
 > can use those functions to make a function that switches between two
 > recent buffers. As I wrote in those bug-report, the function that I use
 > (and bind to a key) looks like:
 >
 > (defun switch-to-previous-buffer ()
 >     "Switch to the previous buffer."
 >     (interactive)
 >     (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer (current-buffer))))
 >
 > I also noticed that I never able to select *Info* buffer with this
 > function. Why?
 >
 > BTW, an extended function that cycles between recent N buffers
 > would be even more cool.
 >
 > FYI, it all started when I switched from XEmacs to Emacs. XEmacs has
 > this function built-in and it's very convenient once one gets used to
 > it. It's not a very big deal, but my attempt to emulate it in Emacs is
 > still only semi-successful.

`other-buffer' isn't very useful for that.  I'd use the first N elements
of a list I would construct as in the completely untested snippet below.

martin

(let (list)
   (dolist (buffer (buffer-list))
     (with-current-buffer buffer
       (when buffer-display-time
	(setq list (cons (cons (float-time buffer-display-time) buffer) list)))))

   (sort list (function (lambda (a b) (> (car a) (car b))))))

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-12-29 19:55 UTC | newest]