On Nov 25, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org >> From: Perry Smith >> Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:38:04 -0600 >> >> emacs of old (I thought) would 'quote' the characters. So, if the >> file had a control-C, emacs would display ^C and a single forward- >> character while the cursor is sitting on the ^ would move two screeen >> spaces up to the next character. > > I don't think Emacs ever did that. > >> Is this not done? Didn't emacs use to do it? > > Only if you use hexl, which is why I recommended it to the OP. We must be talking about two different things or something. On my Mac system, there is a version of emacs 21.2.1 in /usr/bin/ emacs. I have a bzip tar file. I type: emacs foo.tar.bz2 from a Mac "terminal" window (not an X11 window) and it comes up just fine: inside the terminal. I can move around just like I remember. The teminal is pretending to be an xterm. In fact, you can do the same thing inside an xterm, just unset DISPLAY -- otherwise emacs will become an X11 client. I tried doing the same thing to the GUI style emacs 22.0.50 version but if I do it from the terminal, it complains that it can't find things: encoded-kb... I probably need to set my load-path on the command line somehow. Anyhow... I know it worked as of emacs 21. I can't test it on emacs 22 today. Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com ) Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com ) Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems