all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-07 22:16 sergio
From: sergio @ 2011-12-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?

--
sergio.

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08  4:07 ` Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2011-12-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sergio; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM, sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
> without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?
>
> --
> sergio.

I'm not sure what you're asking but try C-x C-c.
--
Alexander

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08  6:27   ` sergio
From: sergio @ 2011-12-08  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/08/2011 08:07 AM, Alexander wrote:

>> How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
>> without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?

> I'm not sure what you're asking but try C-x C-c.
This leaves auto save #file# after exit.

--
sergio.

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08  7:20     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-12-08  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> writes:

Hi Sergio,

>>> How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
>>> without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?
>
>> I'm not sure what you're asking but try C-x C-c.
>
> This leaves auto save #file# after exit.

But only if you say "no" when being queried if the changes should be
saved to the file.  Well, in that case it might be ok not to auto-save,
because the user already stated that he doesn't want to persist his
changes.  But I don't see how that could be done easily.  One way would
be to write your own version of `server-kill-emacs-query-function' and
replace the original with yours in `kill-emacs-query-functions'...

You could also disable auto-saving completely:

,----[ C-h v auto-save-default RET ]
| auto-save-default is a variable defined in `files.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil says by default do auto-saving of every file-visiting buffer.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

But I don't think it's a good idea to turn off auto saving.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08  8:57 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-12-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> writes:

> Hello.
>
> How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
> without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?

If this is something you are going to do often and with many modified
files, I cannot help you.  However, if this is something that will crop
up now and again, I would simply suggest you manually visit and kill
each of the buffers (C-x k) you don't want to save.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08 10:20       ` sergio
From: sergio @ 2011-12-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/08/2011 11:20 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> But only if you say "no" when being queried if the changes should be
> saved to the file.
The main question is "exit without saving", so I must answer "no".

> One way would be to write your own version ...
It's very difficult. But as I just realized kill-buffer removes #file#
even if modification were made. It doesn't close emacs, so it doesn't
solve problem, but I think it's not very difficult to write own function
which kills buffer and closes emacs.

> You could also disable auto-saving completely:
No, as I said this is absolutely impossible. I used to that vim takes
care about this and I don't have (and don't want to have) habit to save
file.

> But I don't think it's a good idea to turn off auto saving.
I think it's very bad idea.

--
sergio.

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08 10:24       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-12-08 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But I don't think it's a good idea to turn off auto saving.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

+1

made a script, which deletes files I usually don't want to see then.

a version runs from Emacs called on a dired-buffer, the other from bash

from Emacs it reads

(defun dak ()
   "Delete files not wanted. "
   (interactive)
   (shell-command "
rm \$(find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name \"\\#\*#\" \\
-o -type f -name \"\*.OTHER\" \\
-o -type f -name \"\*.THIS\" \\
-o -type f -name \"\*.BASE\" \\
-o -type f -name \"\*.\* \*~\" \\

Andreas

--
http://launchpad.net/python-mode
http://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: emacs exiting
@ 2011-12-08 16:11 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-12-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 07 2011, sergio wrote:

> How to leave emacs without saving after some modification were made
> without leaving #file# (with moving it or switching off)?

Perhaps like this:

(defadvice save-buffers-kill-terminal (before my-before-exit activate)
  (kill-all-unsaved-buffers))

You would just need to write (kill-all-unsaved-buffers).

--
           Peter