all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
To: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Cc: 9750@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#9750: 24.0.90; Windows binary distribution build fails with 24.0.90 Pretest
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:01:58 -0600	[thread overview]

On 10/18/2011 1:39 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:

> AIUI, README.W32 has information specific to the pre-built binaries
> provided on ftp.gnu.org. Eg it starts:
>
>    This README file describes how to set up and run a precompiled
>    version of GNU Emacs for Windows.  This distribution can be found on
>    the ftp.gnu.org server and its mirrors:
>
> So it's inappropriate to include it in the source tarfile because it
> contains information that is incorrect/irrelevant for people building
> from source.

For people building on GNU/Linux maybe, but since the Windows binary
distributions are built from the source tarball, it is very much
relevant (for some users).

> But you're saying that you want to start from a source tarfile and make
> a binary tarfile? I don't know how to reconcile these two.

Yes, start from a source tarfile and make a binary zipfile using the
`mingw32-make dist' target I wrote for Windows. (As a side note, I
probably should change the name of the target to `dist-w32' or
`bin-dist' to not confuse it with `make-dist'). The target is mainly
used by Sean to build the weekly builds and should also be used to
consistently build the Windows Emacs releases in an automated fashion
from the source tarballs.

Christoph