all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-14 11:20 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-10-14 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).

Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode, or
whatever)

I would like to input like

chapter 4.1
chapter 4.2
chapter 4.3

chapter 4.46

So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command that
can do this job instantaneously.

Could Emacs do this?

soichi

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-14 11:29 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Turn on orgstruct++-mode and pretend that you are creating a numbered
list. Once the basic editing is done you can add 'chapter 4.'  prefix as
a convenient afterthought.

> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
>
> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode,
> cpp-mode, or whatever)
>
> I would like to input like
>
> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3
>
> chapter 4.46
>
> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command
> that can do this job instantaneously.
>
> Could Emacs do this?
>
> soichi

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-14 12:13 ` Rustom Mody
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-10-14 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, ishi soichi <soichi777@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode, or
> whatever)
> I would like to input like
> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3
> chapter 4.46
> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command that
> can do this job instantaneously.
> Could Emacs do this?
> soichi

You may want to check out column editing mode (part of cua)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-6BVjlBSVo

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-14 17:43 ` Ken Goldman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ken Goldman @ 2011-10-14 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/14/2011 07:20 AM, ishi soichi wrote:
> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
>
> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode,
> or whatever)
>
> I would like to input like
>
> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3
>
> chapter 4.46
>
> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command
> that can do this job instantaneously.
>
> Could Emacs do this?

Of course.

I copied this off the group years ago.  Incorporate it in a keyboard
macro and you're done.

(defun increment (n) (interactive "p")
  ;; Increment the number after point.  With an argument, add that much.
  (let (val)
    (delete-region
     (point)
     (progn
       (setq val (read (current-buffer)))
       (if (not (numberp val)) (error "Not in front of a number"))
       (point)))
    (insert (int-to-string (+ val n)))))
(global-set-key "\C-c+" 'increment)

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-15  3:07   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-10-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks all of you.
Emacs is great! There are still many capabilities that I don't know.

soichi

2011/10/15 Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>

> On 10/14/2011 07:20 AM, ishi soichi wrote:
>
>> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
>>
>> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode,
>> or whatever)
>>
>> I would like to input like
>>
>> chapter 4.1
>> chapter 4.2
>> chapter 4.3
>>
>> chapter 4.46
>>
>> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command
>> that can do this job instantaneously.
>>
>> Could Emacs do this?
>>

> Of course.
>
> I copied this off the group years ago.  Incorporate it in a keyboard macro
> and you're done.
>
> (defun increment (n) (interactive "p")
>  ;; Increment the number after point.  With an argument, add that much.
>  (let (val)
>   (delete-region
>    (point)
>    (progn
>      (setq val (read (current-buffer)))
>      (if (not (numberp val)) (error "Not in front of a number"))
>      (point)))
>   (insert (int-to-string (+ val n)))))
> (global-set-key "\C-c+" 'increment)

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-15  3:14 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2011-10-15  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ishi soichi <soichi777@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).

> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode, or
> whatever)

> I would like to input like

> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3

> chapter 4.46

> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command that
> can do this job instantaneously.

> Could Emacs do this?

Of course :-). For example, try M-: (dotimes (i 46) (insert
(format "chapter 4.%d\n" (+ i 1)))) RET.

Tim

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-15  4:46 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-15  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 14 2011, ishi soichi wrote:

> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
>
> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode,
> cpp-mode, or whatever)
>
> I would like to input like
>
> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3
>
> chapter 4.46
>
> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command
> that can do this job instantaneously.
>
> Could Emacs do this?

Not that you really need another solution, but keyboard macros come with
a counter that can be (de|in)cremented. To learn keyboard macros, I once
made one that sang the "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" song all the
way down to zero. Well, didn't actually "sing" it (I didn't have that
package installed).

So:

C-x C-k C-c (kmacro-set-counter) '1'
<f3> (start the macro)
'chapter 4.' then hit <f3> again (this time it runs kmacro-insert-counter)
newline, then <f4> to finish recording, and you're done.

The counter automatically increments by one for each pass. If you want a
different value you can use C-x C-k C-a in the macro to add a (possibly
negative) value to the default value of 1.

Just one more option…

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-10-06 on pellet

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-15  7:50 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-10-15  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.10.2011 13:20, schrieb ishi soichi:
> I have a question about typing (or programming, or maybe a macro).
>
> Say, I'm writing a text (which can be in any mode, html-mode, cpp-mode, or
> whatever)
>
> I would like to input like
>
> chapter 4.1
> chapter 4.2
> chapter 4.3
>
> chapter 4.46
>
> So, it is very tedious. I would rather set up a program or a command that
> can do this job instantaneously.
>
> Could Emacs do this?
>
> soichi

you may use query-replace-regexp

chapter 4.\([0-9]+\)
RET
chapter 4.\,(1+ (string-to-number \1))
RET

cheers,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/python-mode
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-15  8:17   ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-10-15  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> Not that you really need another solution, but keyboard macros come with
> a counter that can be (de|in)cremented. To learn keyboard macros, I once
> made one that sang the "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" song all the
> way down to zero. Well, didn't actually "sing" it (I didn't have that
> package installed).
>
> So:
>
> C-x C-k C-c (kmacro-set-counter) '1'
> <f3> (start the macro)
> 'chapter 4.' then hit <f3> again (this time it runs kmacro-insert-counter)
> newline, then <f4> to finish recording, and you're done.
>
> The counter automatically increments by one for each pass. If you want a
> different value you can use C-x C-k C-a in the macro to add a (possibly
> negative) value to the default value of 1.
>
> Just one more option…

I believe this would be the preferred way, as said in the manual.

BTW I want to ask this:  I have a sorted list (logically), but with
wrong numbers in them.  What if I want to correct these numbers to be
consistent with the logical order?  Is deleting all the numbers at first
the best solution?

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: repeating input with different outputs
@ 2011-10-16  3:27     ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2011-10-16  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> BTW I want to ask this:  I have a sorted list (logically), but with
> wrong numbers in them.  What if I want to correct these numbers to be
> consistent with the logical order?  Is deleting all the numbers at first
> the best solution?

You can just replace them with one query-replace-regexp run
and use \# as a counter, as Andreas showed in a parallel
posting.

Tim