all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Two different terminal buffers
@ 2011-09-24 16:55 Mazen A.
From: Mazen A. @ 2011-09-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm wondering how can I create two different terminal buffers in Emacs.

Thanks,

Mazen

* Re: Two different terminal buffers
@ 2011-09-25 13:51 ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-09-25 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen A., help-gnu-emacs

C-x 3 to split the buffers.

the in each buffer, M-x shell

@ 2011-09-25 14:14   ` Mazen A.
From: Mazen A. @ 2011-09-25 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11-09-25 06:51 AM, Jai Dayal wrote:
> C-x 3 to split the buffers.
>
> the in each buffer, M-x shell
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Mazen A. <lists@knowtis.ca
> <mailto:lists@knowtis.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I'm wondering how can I create two different terminal buffers in
>     Emacs.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Mazen

Thanks, Jai. This will create two buffers with the same shell. What I am
after are two windows with two different instances of shell.

* RE: Two different terminal buffers
@ 2011-09-25 15:34     ` Ludwig, Mark
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2011-09-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen A., help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

After you get into the first shell, rename its buffer with M-x rename-buffer and then the next M-x shell will create another buffer named "*shell*"....

Hope this helps,

Mark

@ 2011-09-25 16:12     ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2011-09-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen A.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* 2011-09-25T07:14:45-07:00 * Mazen A. wrote:

> On 11-09-25 06:51 AM, Jai Dayal wrote:
>> C-x 3 to split the buffers.
>>
>> the in each buffer, M-x shell

> Thanks, Jai. This will create two buffers with the same shell. What I
> am after are two windows with two different instances of shell.

About terminology: "M-x shell" starts an interactive interface for shell
(that is, a command-line interpreter like /bin/bash). It's not a
terminal; in the subject you wrote "terminal buffers".

It is also possible to run text terminals in Emacs: "M-x term". Shell
can be run inside such terminal.

* Re: Two different terminal buffers
@ 2011-09-25 18:37     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-09-25 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen A.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.09.2011 um 16:14 schrieb Mazen A.:

> What I am after are two windows with two different instances of shell.

C-u M-x shell RET.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
				– George W. Bush

* Re: Two different terminal buffers
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-09-26  2:19     ` Mazen A.
From: Mazen A. @ 2011-09-26  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11-09-25 07:14 AM, Mazen A. wrote:
> On 11-09-25 06:51 AM, Jai Dayal wrote:
>> C-x 3 to split the buffers.
>>
>> the in each buffer, M-x shell
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Mazen A. <lists@knowtis.ca
>> <mailto:lists@knowtis.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I'm wondering how can I create two different terminal buffers in
>>     Emacs.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Mazen
>>

> Thanks, Jai. This will create two buffers with the same shell. What I
> am after are two windows with two different instances of shell.
I was referred to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultiTerm

* Re: Two different terminal buffers
       [not found] <mailman.4375.1316958051.939.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-09-28 18:03 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4925.1317620447.939.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2011-09-28 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering how can I create two different terminal buffers in Emacs.

I do it this way:

  - open the first terminal
  - rename the terminal buffer to something different (C-c M-x rename-buffer)
  - open the second terminal

This does in principle also work with Info, shell, Eshell and Help.  Of
course the "C-c" prefix is needed only in terminals running in
character mode.

Michael.

* Re: Two different terminal buffers
@ 2011-10-03  5:40   ` Ian Zimmerman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4925.1317620447.939.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2011-10-03  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael> This does in principle also work with Info, shell, Eshell and
Michael> Help.  Of course the "C-c" prefix is needed only in terminals
Michael> running in character mode.

I don't understand the last sentence here.  Why doesn't "M-x
rename-buffer" work in character mode (provided you set the input mode
such that 8th bit is interpreted as Meta)?

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD

@ 2011-10-04 18:02     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2011-10-04 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why doesn't "M-x rename-buffer" work in character mode?

From the Emacs manual, node "Term Mode":

  "In char mode, each character is sent directly to the inferior subshell,
   except for the Term escape character, normally `C-c'."