On 9/13/2011 3:52 PM, Juri Linkov wrote: >> Any other arguments wrt the default value? > > Another argument for not exiting isearch with C-u by default > is that some isearch commands accept the C-u argument and change > their behavior accordingly depending on `current-prefix-arg' like > `isearch-yank-char', `isearch-del-char', `isearch-query-replace', > `isearch-query-replace-regexp', `isearch-occur', but currently users > can't use C-u to access their full functionality without customizing > `isearch-allow-scroll' to t. > Also, there are plenty of ways to exit isearch other than C-u. I can't remember ever using C-u to exit isearch, in fact, and if the prefix argument is still applied to any command that _does_ exit isearch, I see no problem changing the default behavior.