all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* feature request: daemonize
@ 2011-08-23 19:29 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-08-23 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It's nice that we have:

emacs --daemon

But here's what I need.  I've started emacs without --daemon.  Now it's time to
go home.  I want M-x daemonize.

Feasible?  The most obvious problem I can think of is it would need to close any
X-connections.

* Re: feature request: daemonize
@ 2011-08-23 19:40 ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-08-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

23/08/11 21:29, Neal Becker
> It's nice that we have:
>
> emacs --daemon
>
> But here's what I need.  I've started emacs without --daemon.  Now
> it's time to go home.  I want M-x daemonize.
>
> Feasible?  The most obvious problem I can think of is it would need to
> close any X-connections.

That'd be cool. A use case is when I need to restart the X server or to
log out for some reason.

* Re: feature request: daemonize
@ 2011-08-24 12:01 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-08-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> It's nice that we have:
>
> emacs --daemon
>
> But here's what I need.  I've started emacs without --daemon.  Now it's time to
> go home.  I want M-x daemonize.
>
> Feasible?  The most obvious problem I can think of is it would need to close any
> X-connections.

Is this different from (server-start 1)?

Emacs GTK breaks most of the time when I close X. Especially after I've
switched to GTK3.

—Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* GTK3 emacs doesn't survive killing X11 (was: feature request: daemonize)
@ 2011-08-25 12:12   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-08-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

Hi Rasmus,

> Emacs GTK breaks most of the time when I close X. Especially after
> I've switched to GTK3.

Oh, that's an issue I also see lately.  I remember emacs used to survive
killing X11 when there was a console frame, but right now, that doesn't
work anymore.

I didn't think about GTK3 being the culprit, though.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: GTK3 emacs doesn't survive killing X11
@ 2011-08-25 13:18     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-08-25 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
> Hi Rasmus,
>
>> Emacs GTK breaks most of the time when I close X. Especially after
>> I've switched to GTK3.
>
> Oh, that's an issue I also see lately.  I remember emacs used to survive
> killing X11 when there was a console frame, but right now, that doesn't
> work anymore.
>
> I didn't think about GTK3 being the culprit, though.

No idea. Earlier Emacs would survive X restarts if no GTK frames where
open. This no longer seems to be the case. Whether it is GTK3 or
something else I simply don't know. . .

—Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: GTK3 emacs doesn't survive killing X11
@ 2011-08-25 14:15       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2011-08-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Rasmus skrev 2011-08-25 15:18:
> Tassilo Horn<tassilo@member.fsf.org>  writes:
>
>> Rasmus<rasmus@gmx.us>  writes:
>>
>> Hi Rasmus,
>>
>>> Emacs GTK breaks most of the time when I close X. Especially after
>>> I've switched to GTK3.
>>
>> Oh, that's an issue I also see lately.  I remember emacs used to survive
>> killing X11 when there was a console frame, but right now, that doesn't
>> work anymore.
>>
>> I didn't think about GTK3 being the culprit, though.
>
> No idea. Earlier Emacs would survive X restarts if no GTK frames where
> open. This no longer seems to be the case. Whether it is GTK3 or
> something else I simply don't know. . .

It is really GLib that messes things up.  GLib is used by GConf,
GSettings, DBus and (I think) rsvg.

	Jan D.