all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* weird tab self insert behavior on windows -- how can I fix?
@ 2011-08-24 22:21 fork
From: fork @ 2011-08-24 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here is my version:

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-01-17

Sometimes (but not always) when I set tab to self-insert, I get a funky
character inserted (a square with 3c9296 in it) whenever I hit tab.  Sometimes
it works fine.

Has anybody seen this behavior, and know how to fix it?

I am happy to use a newer test binary, though I always have a hard time finding
them.

Tx

* Re: weird tab self insert behavior on windows -- how can I fix?
@ 2011-08-25  5:39 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-08-25  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-08-25 00:21, fork wrote:
> Here is my version:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-01-17
>
> Sometimes (but not always) when I set tab to self-insert, I get a funky
> character inserted (a square with 3c9296 in it) whenever I hit tab.  Sometimes
> it works fine.
>
> Has anybody seen this behavior, and know how to fix it?
>
> I am happy to use a newer test binary, though I always have a hard time finding
> them.

The next time you see this behavior:

1. What happens when you hit M-i, which is normally set to
`tab-to-tab-stop'?
2. What do you get when you move point over the funky character and hit
C-u C-x =?
3. What mode are you in?
4. What do you get when you hit C-h k TAB?  All of the output, please.

If you find a way to reproduce the behavior, also try downloading the
latest Windows binary and see if it is still reproducible.

Thanks,
Deniz

* Re: weird tab self insert behavior on windows -- how can I fix?
@ 2011-08-25 18:57   ` fork
From: fork @ 2011-08-25 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz <at> dogan.se> writes:

> If you find a way to reproduce the behavior, also try downloading the
> latest Windows binary and see if it is still reproducible.

Where does one find the latest TESTING windows binaries?  I can find the stable
binaries, but they don't have a bunch of stuff I like....

And I will follow all the above when I do run into the problem again.

* Re: weird tab self insert behavior on windows -- how can I fix?
@ 2011-08-25 19:01     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fork; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Where does one find the latest TESTING windows binaries?

http://alpha.gnu.org/pub/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/?C=M;O=D

* Re: weird tab self insert behavior on windows -- how can I fix?
@ 2011-08-25 22:19   ` fork
From: fork @ 2011-08-25 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz <at> dogan.se> writes:

> On 2011-08-25 00:21, fork wrote:

> > Sometimes (but not always) when I set tab to self-insert, I get a funky
> > character inserted (a square with 3c9296 in it) whenever I hit tab.
> > Sometimes it works fine.

> If you find a way to reproduce the behavior, also try downloading the
> latest Windows binary and see if it is still reproducible.

I downloaded the latest alpha build, and all is well.  I will follow up if the
problem comes back.