all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Menu for command history?
@ 2011-08-05  7:54 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-08-05  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

All Emacs command store history of user input.

It will be accessed by UP/DOWN one per item.

But it is nice to get menu to select item by UP/DOWN/RET
as you can see more then one item at once
and brief look allow faster find/select item.

Like 'menuconfig' for Linux build or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialog_%28software%29

* Re: Menu for command history?
@ 2011-08-05  8:10 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-05  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenko@bifit.com.ua> writes:

> All Emacs command store history of user input.
>
> It will be accessed by UP/DOWN one per item.
>
> But it is nice to get menu to select item by UP/DOWN/RET
> as you can see more then one item at once
> and brief look allow faster find/select item.

M-x list-command-history RET
then go to appropriate line and press 'x' to repeat that command.

@ 2011-08-05  8:32   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-08-05  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

05.08.2011 11:10, Jambunathan K пишет:
> Oleksandr Gavenko<gavenko@bifit.com.ua>  writes:
>
>> All Emacs command store history of user input.
>>
>> It will be accessed by UP/DOWN one per item.
>>
>> But it is nice to get menu to select item by UP/DOWN/RET
>> as you can see more then one item at once
>> and brief look allow faster find/select item.
>
> M-x list-command-history RET
> then go to appropriate line and press 'x' to repeat that command.

Oh! My question is ambiguous.

I look for command input history, not for command history.
With ability select item from menu like in menuconfig or in
http://www.emacswiki.org/pics/static/AutoCompleteScreenshot.png

* Re: Menu for command history?
@ 2011-08-05  9:04   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-08-05  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.08.2011 10:10, schrieb Jambunathan K:
> Oleksandr Gavenko<gavenko@bifit.com.ua>  writes:
>
>> All Emacs command store history of user input.
>>
>> It will be accessed by UP/DOWN one per item.
>>
>> But it is nice to get menu to select item by UP/DOWN/RET
>> as you can see more then one item at once
>> and brief look allow faster find/select item.
>
> M-x list-command-history RET
> then go to appropriate line and press 'x' to repeat that command.

Hi,

thanks. Think that's the preferred way.
For Emacs beginners however a menu might be useful.

Supporting a feature request at emacs-bugs,

Andreas

* Re: Menu for command history?
@ 2011-08-05  9:39     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-05  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenko@bifit.com.ua> wrote:
> I look for command input history, not for command history.

What about using history completion?

previous-complete-history-element
next-complete-history-element

You can bind these to something for minibuffer-local-*-map

--
Suvayu

* RE: Menu for command history?
@ 2011-08-05 16:00       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-08-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'suvayu ali', 'Oleksandr Gavenko'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > I look for command input history, not for command history.
>
> What about using history completion?
>  previous-complete-history-element
>  next-complete-history-element
> You can bind these to something for minibuffer-local-*-map

And you can use buffer *Completions* like a menu, if candidate cycling is
available.  Your minibuffer input (what's currently in the minibuffer) filters
the possible completions (i.e., filters the menu).

Icicles lets you do this.

* You can also refine the "menu" (candidates) progressively, combining multiple
patterns (e.g., substrings, regexps).
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Progressive_Completion

* You can also choose multiple candidates (multiple-choice menu).
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Multiple-Choice_Menus

* You can also, during any minibuffer input (not just with completion), hit
`M-o' to complete against the current minibuffer history, inserting the choice
into the minibuffer.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_History_Enhancements#toc4