On 7/26/11 1:00 PM, David Reitter wrote: > As others have said here, people expect to be able to do ./configure; make install. Sure, but having to run autogen.sh on a project that's just been checked out of version control is also very common in the free software world, and our actual source tarballs do contain pre-built autoconf scripts. The problem with a self-replacing configure script is that, as you mentioned, it'd be hard to tell bzr to version the placeholder script, but ignore the generated one; solving this problem by using a nonstandard name for the generated `configure' script would be surprising. I think our current approach is fine.