all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Do POSIX classes work in regular expression searches?
@ 2011-07-23  0:24 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-07-23  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: throaway; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Jul 22, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Mark S wrote:

> I've been trying to do some simple searches like:
>
> (query-replace-regexp "<span[:ascii:]*?</span>+" "test")
>

> or even the simpler
>
> (query-replace-regexp "[:ascii:]*" "test")
>
> and not getting anywhere. Emacs just looks for the characters ":acis" -- not for the POSIX character set of all ASCII characters. Trying it with other sets also got me nowhere. These character classes are listed in the Emacs documentation -- is there a trick to getting them to work?

Looks like you need two sets of brackets?

[[:ascii:]]*

* Do POSIX classes work in regular expression searches?
@ 2011-07-23  1:12 Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-07-23  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I've been trying to do some simple searches like:

  (query-replace-regexp "<span[:ascii:]*?</span>+" "test")

or even the simpler

  (query-replace-regexp "[:ascii:]*" "test")

and not getting anywhere. Emacs just looks for the characters ":acis" --
not for the POSIX character set of all ASCII characters. Trying it with
other sets also got me nowhere. These character classes are listed in the
Emacs documentation -- is there a trick to getting them to work?

Thanks,
Mark

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

* Re: Do POSIX classes work in regular expression searches?
@ 2011-07-23  3:19 Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-07-23  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks Perry!

I suppose this was obvious to everyone, but I really didn't see it in the
documentation -- or even an example of usage.

Thanks again!
Mark

On Jul 22, 4:24 pm, Perry Smith <pedz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Mark S wrote:
>> I've been trying to do some simple searches like:
>> (query-replace-regexp "<span[:ascii:]*?</span>+" "test")
>> or even the simpler
>> (query-replace-regexp "[:ascii:]*" "test")
>> and not getting anywhere. Emacs just looks for the characters ":acis"
> -- not for the POSIX character set of all ASCII characters. Trying it
> with other sets also got me nowhere. These character classes are listed
> in the Emacs documentation -- is there a trick to getting them to work?
>Looks like you need two sets of brackets?
>[[:ascii:]]*

m/mail/

* Re: Do POSIX classes work in regular expression searches?
@ 2011-07-23  7:14 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-23  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.07.2011 05:19, schrieb Mark S:

> Thanks Perry!
>
> I suppose this was obvious to everyone, but I really didn't see it in
> the documentation -- or even an example of usage.
>
> Thanks again!
> Mark
>
> On Jul 22, 4:24 pm, Perry Smith <pedz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Mark S wrote:
>>> I've been trying to do some simple searches like:
>>> (query-replace-regexp "<span[:ascii:]*?</span>+" "test")
>>> or even the simpler
>>> (query-replace-regexp "[:ascii:]*" "test")
>>> and not getting anywhere. Emacs just looks for the characters ":acis"
>> -- not for the POSIX character set of all ASCII characters. Trying it
>> with other sets also got me nowhere. These character classes are
>> listed in the Emacs documentation -- is there a trick to getting them
>> to work?
>> Looks like you need two sets of brackets?
>> [[:ascii:]]*

you may understand the inner bracketed-form like an equivalent to "a-zA-Z"

you may write for example

[[:ascii:]ÄÖÜaöü]*

in order to cover german umlauts too