all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* conditional text insertion
@ 2011-07-19  5:47 Lister Account
From: Lister Account @ 2011-07-19  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a keybinding I just made that essentially will go to the end of a
line, insert a semicolon, return, and auto-indent.

I'd like to only add the semicolon if it doesn't already exist.

In other words, go to the end of the line, if a semicolon is there, return.
If a semicolon is not there, add one, then return.

I'm brand spanking new to emacs, and I'm sure this is a task that others
have resolved, but I'm having trouble googling for a solution.

Thanks,
Steve

* Re: conditional text insertion
@ 2011-07-19  7:24 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-19 07:47, Lister Account wrote:
> I have a keybinding I just made that essentially will go to the end of a
> line, insert a semicolon, return, and auto-indent.
>
> I'd like to only add the semicolon if it doesn't already exist.
>
> In other words, go to the end of the line, if a semicolon is there,
> return.  If a semicolon is not there, add one, then return.
>
> I'm brand spanking new to emacs, and I'm sure this is a task that others
> have resolved, but I'm having trouble googling for a solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

(defun hello-there ()
   (interactive)
   (move-end-of-line)
   (unless (looking-back ";")
     (insert ";"))
   (newline-and-indent))

Then you would want to bind this to only some modes, and not globally.
E.g., this way:

(add-hook 'prog-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (local-set-key (kbd "C-c ;") 'hello-there)))

This binds "C-c ;" to that command.

Hope that helps,
Deniz

* Re: conditional text insertion
@ 2011-07-19  8:54   ` Lister Account
From: Lister Account @ 2011-07-19  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

That's exactly what I was looking for.  I'm only binding it in c-mode
derivatives, so mine looks like:

(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-cool-return)

I hope that's OK.  Seems to work, anyways. :)

I very much appreciate the help.  I'm slowly making the shift to emacs and
this kind of programmability really has me floored.

@ 2011-07-19  9:57     ` Lister Account
From: Lister Account @ 2011-07-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

by the way - for anybody reading the archives:

I had to make a minor update to the code that Deniz provided:

(defun hello-there ()
 (interactive)
 (call-interactively 'move-end-of-line)
 (unless (looking-back ";")
   (insert ";"))
 (newline-and-indent))

I updated line 3 above because I was getting the error "Wrong Number of
Arguments".  A little googling led me to the solution.

Thanks again!

@ 2011-07-19 10:02     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-19 10:54, Lister Account wrote:
> That's exactly what I was looking for.  I'm only binding it in c-mode
> derivatives, so mine looks like:
>
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-cool-return)
>
> I hope that's OK.  Seems to work, anyways. :)
>
> I very much appreciate the help.  I'm slowly making the shift to emacs
> and this kind of programmability really has me floored.

I'm glad you're taking the programmability aspect into account on your
journey into Emacs.  I've seen way too many new users be appalled by
things such as when they ask "how do I paste a line 1000 times" and they
get an answer along the lines of C-x ( C-y C-x ) C-u 999 C-x e.  If
anyone is not okay with that behavior, it's so easy to change it.

As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to change that behavior right away...

@ 2011-07-19 14:02       ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-19 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Lister,
Lister Account <lister345@gmail.com> writes:

> I updated line 3 above because I was getting the error "Wrong Number
> of Arguments".  A little googling led me to the solution.

Google works of course, but it is *really* faster to get used
to emacs self documenting facilities.

In this case, I used `C-h f' move-end-of-line:

,----
| move-end-of-line is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `simple.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-e, <end>.
|
| (move-end-of-line ARG)
|
| For more information check the manuals.

! Move point to end of current line as displayed.
! With argument ARG not nil or 1, move forward ARG - 1 lines first.
| If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
|
| To ignore the effects of the `intangible' text or overlay
| property, bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t.
| If there is an image in the current line, this function
| disregards newlines that are part of the text on which the image
| rests.
`----

So we need an arg, (move-end-of-line nil) should do.

What is the advantage of this approach to google?

a) Faster: Its all there, already. I can type `C-h f' faster
           than my browser starts up.
b) Up to date: There is lots of stuff on the net, but
           believe it or not, emacs changes. The build in
           documentation is always uptodate, or at least
           up to the date you are using now.
c) See the source: With a single <ret> on "in `simple.el', you
           get the source of the function. If you want to learn
           elisp, just go and browse ;).

Well, there are other benefits, but those seem to me the most potent
ones.

hth
Memnon

P.S: (info "(emacs) Help Summary") <--- C-x C-e here
     is a good starting point.

* Re: conditional text insertion
@ 2011-07-19 17:40         ` Lister Account
From: Lister Account @ 2011-07-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw