all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18  3:57 spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-18  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I've got text with carriage returns (CR) ending lines in my LaTex documents.
isearch does not work for word strings with CRs separating the words. For
instance, isearch on 'George Washington' will not find:
George [CR]
Washington

I've looked online for a solution and found one source that describes the
issue but I'm confused what the customization to the
search-whitespace-regexp variable should be.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6029010/isearch-across-line-breaks

This link describes the confusion. I'm a new to emacs and can't figure out
the variable settings.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00427.html

Again, what is the proper setting in search-whitespace-regexp to search
across line breaks with carriage returns?

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18  8:48 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-18  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2011 05:57, schrieb spinner:

> I've got text with carriage returns (CR) ending lines in my LaTex documents.
> isearch does not work for word strings with CRs separating the words. For
> instance, isearch on 'George Washington' will not find:
> George [CR]
> Washington
>
> I've looked online for a solution and found one source that describes the
> issue but I'm confused what the customization to the
> search-whitespace-regexp variable should be.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6029010/isearch-across-line-breaks
>
> This link describes the confusion. I'm a new to emacs and can't figure out
> the variable settings.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00427.html
>
> Again, what is the proper setting in search-whitespace-regexp to search
> across line breaks with carriage returns?

M-x isearch-forward-regexp RET

should enable the right thing here.

Regards,

Andreas

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18  9:34 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-18  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

spinner <michaelcrain@hotmail.com> writes:

> I've got text with carriage returns (CR) ending lines in my LaTex documents.
> isearch does not work for word strings with CRs separating the words.

C-h f word-search-forward ?

hth
Memnon

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18 11:00   ` spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-18 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

This did not work for me.
According to the links in my OP, some settings need to be customized to make
search-whitespace-regexp work across CRs (and other separators). But as I
said I find the documentation on this customization confusing. C-h v
search-whitespace-regexp

@ 2011-07-18 11:06   ` spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-18 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Your suggestion works for me. Thank you.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/emacs/Word-Search.html
M-s w

@ 2011-07-18 12:30     ` ken
From: ken @ 2011-07-18 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: spinner; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 07/18/2011 07:06 AM spinner wrote:
> Your suggestion works for me. Thank you.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/emacs/Word-Search.html
> M-s w

Is there a variable which can be set which toggles on word-mode for C-s
and C-r?

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18 17:40     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-18 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2011 13:00, schrieb spinner:

> This did not work for me.

George[\r\t\f
]+Washington

should find any name separated by blanks, tabs, newpages, cr, newlines

the newline-expression in the regexp must be typed \C-o inside the
minibuffer, ie inserted literarly

@ 2011-07-18 18:58       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-07-18 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2011 um 19:40 schrieb Andreas Röhler:

> the newline-expression in the regexp must be typed \C-o inside the minibuffer, ie inserted literarly

Shouldn't it be C-j or C-q C-j? C-j is dec 10, oct 12, hex 0A, UTF U+000A LINE FEED (LF). (C-o is SHIFT IN.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"Klingons do not believe in indentation - except perhaps in the skulls of their project managers."

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-19  5:30         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-19  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2011 20:58, schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 18.07.2011 um 19:40 schrieb Andreas Röhler:
>
>> the newline-expression in the regexp must be typed \C-o inside the minibuffer, ie inserted literarly
>
> Shouldn't it be C-j or C-q C-j? C-j is dec 10, oct 12, hex 0A, UTF U+000A LINE FEED (LF). (C-o is SHIFT IN.)
>
> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>    Pete
>
> "Klingons do not believe in indentation - except perhaps in the skulls of their project managers."

Hm, de facto that works for me, I'm doing \C-o here. Which was hard to
figure out at the beginning with Emacs BTW.

No explanation so far, just experience. Might \C-o from minibuffer be
translated differently by Emacs?

Maybe someone else can comment.

Thanks pointing at that,

Andreas

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-19 13:45           ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-19 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
> Am 18.07.2011 20:58, schrieb Peter Dyballa:

>>> the newline-expression in the regexp must be typed \C-o inside the minibuffer, ie inserted literarly
>> Shouldn't it be C-j or C-q C-j? C-j is dec 10, oct 12, hex 0A, UTF U+000A LINE FEED (LF). (C-o is SHIFT IN.)
> Hm, de facto that works for me, I'm doing \C-o here. Which was hard to
> figure out at the beginning with Emacs BTW.

`C-h r' `C-s C-q C-j' `C-s':

,----[ (info "(emacs)Minibuffer Edit") ]
|    Since <RET> in the minibuffer is defined to exit the minibuffer, you
| can't use it to insert a newline in the minibuffer.  To do that, type
| `C-o' or `C-q C-j'.  (The newline character is really the ASCII
| character control-J.)
`----

So, both of you are right.

FWIF, I learned `C-q C-j', because it was easier to remember once I knew
what `C-q' does, thusly avoiding the "hard to figure out at the
beginning" bit.

Memnon

* Re: Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-19 16:39             ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-19 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.07.2011 15:45, schrieb Memnon Anon:
> Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>  writes:

>>> Shouldn't it be C-j or C-q C-j? C-j is dec 10, oct 12, hex 0A, UTF U+000A LINE FEED (LF). (C-o is SHIFT IN.)
>> Hm, de facto that works for me, I'm doing \C-o here. Which was hard to
>> figure out at the beginning with Emacs BTW.
>
> `C-h r' `C-s C-q C-j' `C-s':
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Minibuffer Edit") ]
> |    Since<RET>  in the minibuffer is defined to exit the minibuffer, you
> | can't use it to insert a newline in the minibuffer.  To do that, type
> | `C-o' or `C-q C-j'.  (The newline character is really the ASCII
> | character control-J.)
> `----
>
> So, both of you are right.
>
> FWIF, I learned `C-q C-j', because it was easier to remember once I knew
> what `C-q' does, thusly avoiding the "hard to figure out at the
> beginning" bit.
>
> Memnon

thanks picking the info