On 7/18/2011 3:08 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > I don't recall that discussion. Can we reopen it? According to [1], > Windows 98 has a market share of 0.03%. > > That must be hundreds of thousands of people. ~300,000 if we assume 1 billion people worldwide. That's still miniscule in proportion --- and of those 300,000, how many are savvy enough to be Emacs users? If there _are_ any remaining Windows 9X Emacs users, dropping 9X support will be doing them a favor: using an OS that doesn't receive security updates is terribly dangerous. Besides, they'll always have Emacs 24 and below. > We should not be in a hurry to delete code that is already in Emacs > and might be useful for someone. The code will always be there in the version control history. On 7/18/2011 3:08 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > What is meant by "going all Unicode"? That sounds like a drastic > change. Not really --- Each Windows API comes in two versions: an "ANSI" one that accepts strings using legacy character encoding and a "Unicode" one that accepts UTF-16LE strings. All we have to do is start calling the latter functions instead of the former.