On 7/18/11 2:04 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Yes, the change would make Emacs Unicode-only --- but every Windows OS >> in common use supports unicode. Why would requiring unicode support be >> a problem? > > Two reasons: (1) we still support running Emacs on Windows 9X, where > the Unicode file APIs are (AFAIK) not supported, even if unicows.dll > is installed The 9X family is long dead. There's no vendor or driver support; I don't know how I would even go about testing 9X support. We shouldn't forgo technical improvement on the account of a dead system. > and (2) going Unicode means that all the existing APIs > used by Emacs will have to be switched to Unicode. Why not do it piecemeal? We can directly call Unicode APIs where appropriate.