all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching across line breaks
@ 2011-07-18  3:57 spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-18  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I've got text with carriage returns (CR) ending lines in my LaTex documents.
isearch does not work for word strings with CRs separating the words. For
instance, isearch on 'George Washington' will not find:
George [CR]
Washington

I've looked online for a solution and found one source that describes the
issue but I'm confused what the customization to the
search-whitespace-regexp variable should be.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6029010/isearch-across-line-breaks

This link describes the confusion. I'm a new to emacs and can't figure out
the variable settings.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00427.html

Again, what is the proper setting in search-whitespace-regexp to search
across line breaks with carriage returns?