Am 01.07.2011 12:27, schrieb Frederik: > Hi There! > > Until now I've taken notes and did extracts/abstracts of the books I had > to read by hand, i.e. with pen & paper. > > Now I want to switch to the digital world... What could be more natural > than using emacs, because I already use it with AucTeX to create my > latex documents. > > What I basically need is ordering of the abstracts and full-text search > for my notes. Printing the notes would be useful, too. > > Google brought up several modes; org-mode seems promising, but I never > tried it before. > > How do you take notes? Any special suggestions? I thought it could be > helpful to ask on this list before trying out several modes... > > Thanks & Regards, > Fred > > Hi, the file attached stores data together with it's location. Call `M-x note-with-url' with an active region. It's designed to take notes from Emacs-w3m browser, but works with any buffer. Notes are stored in files setting up variables listing paired entries like this: (setq nwu-example (quote (list ("Thanks to many of the other people for the great contributions." . "http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/") ("Vor dem Bundesfinanzhof müssen sich die Beteiligten durch Prozessbevollmächtigte vertreten lassen. Dies gilt auch für Prozesshandlungen, durch die ein Verfahren vor dem Bundesfinanzhof eingeleitet wird." . "/MY-LOCAL/PATH/gesetze/rechtsberatungsrecht.txt") ))) When taking notes from Emacs Mail, remember.el will be more suitable maybe. Andreas -- https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/components-python-mode https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/