all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
To: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
Cc: emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Buffers relative order
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:38:16 +0200	[thread overview]

 > With this new behavior, after a few start/exit Emacs, it is difficult to
 > work, the order is lost (header files are "far" from .c/.cxx etc.)
 >
 > Is this a something with which we will have to do in Emacs24?

Not necessarily.  I can easily restore the old behavior.

The modeline functions currently operate on window local buffer lists
which allow to navigate primarily the buffers shown in that specific
window first.  Only when you arrive at one of the ends of that list a
buffer from the frame local or global buffer list is chosen.

If you have just one window in your session, the results should be
identic for the next session.  If you have more than one window, the
results will differ, since window local buffer lists are currently not
yet saved and restored.

IIUC, however, frame local buffer lists are not handled by desktop
either.  So your new session will already show different behaviors if
you used more than one frame in the previous session.

martin