all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* new calendrical calculations - elisp - common lisp
@ 2011-06-13 16:40 Benjamin Slade
       [not found] ` <4DF64086.20802@cs.ucla.edu>
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-06-13 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to add a "module" to Emacs for converting from Gregorian dates
into traditional Indian/Hindu dates (Bikrama Samvat), and, perhaps more
importantly, for calculating Hindu holidays.

I found a very nice set of functions for doing so implemented in Common Lisp
in *Deshow, Nachum and Reingold, Edward M. 2008. _Calendrical Calculations_.
New York: Cambridge University Press, 3rd edn*. I was wondering if this
perhaps has already been implemented (given that Reingold developed the
original calendar calculations for Emacs).

If not: What is the best way of using this code in Emacs? I know that Emacs
Lisp is different from Common Lisp - and I also know that there is/are
package(s?) for using Common Lisp within Emacs.

What I don't know is:
(1) Can this code just be converted into Emacs Lisp? Or are there bits of it
which would require Common Lisp?

[Right now it doesn't work - I know that Emacs Lisp requires "defconst"
rather than "defconstant", but even changing that, I get a "condition-case:
Symbol's value as variable is void: 279457/1080000" error for:

 (defconst hindu-sidereal-year
  ;; TYPE rational
  ;; Mean length of Hindu sidereal year.
  (+ 365 279457/1080000))

And changing the definition to (+ 365 (/ 1080000 279457)) it seems just to
round.]

(2) Or else, if it is necessary, how to use Common Lisp packages in Emacs.

I have transcribed the code here:
http://www.jnanam.net/emacs/hindu-calendar.el [there are probably typos in
it yet].

I'm, obviously, not really a Lisp coder, but I am looking for some pointers
for how to get this code working within Emacs.

thanks,
  --Ben
Benjamin Slade
Dept. of Linguistics
[ http://www.jnanam.net/slade/ ]

Stæfcræft & Vyākaraṇa (lingblog) - http://staefcraeft.blogspot.com
The Babbage Files (techblog) - http://babbagefiles.blogspot.com

  *प*रो ऽक्ष॑का*मा* हि *दे*वाः
    'The gods love the obscure.' (Śatapathabrāmaṇa 6.1.1.2)

* Re: new calendrical calculations - elisp - common lisp
       [not found] ` <4DF64086.20802@cs.ucla.edu>
@ 2011-06-13 17:00   ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-06-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks, Paul. I wrote to Ed Reingold a few days ago asking him about this
issue, but I haven't heard back from him.

A general question: do you have any sense for whether these sorts of
calculations could be handled by Emacs Lisp, or whether they require Common
Lisp?

I would be interested in coding this up from scratch in the event that the
Deshow/Reingold functions can't be incorporated directly, though given my
very rudimentary understanding of Lisp (both Emacs and Common), I imagine
this would take some time (#damnitjimimalinguistnotalispcoder).

cheers,
  --Ben

@ 2011-06-13 17:06 ` Edward Reingold
From: Edward Reingold @ 2011-06-13 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Slade; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sorry, the code in our book is NOT in the public domain and cannot be
used in Emacs.

@ 2011-06-13 19:28     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2011-06-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Slade; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 06/13/11 10:00, Benjamin Slade wrote:
> A general question: do you have any sense for whether these sorts of
> calculations could be handled by Emacs Lisp, or whether they require Common
> Lisp?

I'm sure Emacs Lisp is up to doing them.  There may be some issues with
large integers but they can be handled.  As you suspect, though, it
will take a bit of hacking to do it right.

* Re: new calendrical calculations - elisp - common lisp
@ 2011-06-13 19:59   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-06-13 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Reingold; +Cc: slade, emacs-devel

I wonder what the point is in publishing code that people can't use.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: new calendrical calculations - elisp - common lisp
@ 2011-06-17 20:34     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-06-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Edward Reingold, slade, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I wonder what the point is in publishing code that people can't use.

Usually, it's to hit people up for money if they want to use the code
they'd read in the textbook (e.g. Numerical Recipes).