This patch is against emacs 2.32 in Fedora 14, but the relevant regexp seems to be unchanged in the current source tree. When I do C-x 4 a in a ChangeLog file, it creates an empty item that looks like * If I then switch to another source file in the same directory and do C-x 4 a again, I get * myfile.c (somefn): rather than * myfile.c (somefn): This is due to the regular expression used to search for an empty item in add-change-log-entry. "^\\s *\\*\\s *$" looks for any whitespace followed by a *, followed by any whitespace, followed by the end of a line. Unfortunately, when faced with * this regexp matches not only the line with the * on it, but the newline at the end, and the $ matches the end of the following empty line. My patch changes the final "\\s *" to just " *" so it doesn't match newlines.