all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I apply for GSoC?
@ 2011-03-24  5:15 Tomohiro Matsuyama
From: Tomohiro Matsuyama @ 2011-03-24  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I have a question. How can I apply for GSoC on GNU Emacs Project?

My idea on GSoC is "Emacs Native Profiler", which enables to profile
Emacs Lisp. Comparing to benchmark.el or elp.el, the overhead of this
profiler is very small. The uncompleted work can be obtained from the
following URL:

http://cx4a.org/hack/emacs-native-profiler.html

BTW, this helped me to improve performance of my emacs settings and
auto-complete.el.

The goal on GSoC is

1. Implement all necessary features
2. Make it portable
3. Merge into mainline

Thanks,
Tomohiro

* Re: How can I apply for GSoC?
@ 2011-03-25 15:46 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-03-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomohiro Matsuyama; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tomohiro Matsuyama <tomo@cx4a.org> writes:

> I have a question. How can I apply for GSoC on GNU Emacs Project?
>
> My idea on GSoC is "Emacs Native Profiler", which enables to profile
> Emacs Lisp. Comparing to benchmark.el or elp.el, the overhead of this
> profiler is very small. The uncompleted work can be obtained from the
> following URL:
>
> http://cx4a.org/hack/emacs-native-profiler.html

One thing you need is a mentor among the existing Emacs developers.  If
I understand correctly, the role of a mentor is to offer advice when
needed, and help facilitate getting the code accepted.

I am completely swamped with work, so will not be able to do this, but
if any Emacs developer is able and willing to step forward, I encourage
them to do so---ASAP, because the deadline is soon.

Anyone?

Once a mentor is available, we would sign up on summer-of-code@gnu.org.
My impression is that GNU gets a certain number of slots in GSoC, but I
am not sure of the procedure for deciding which subprojects gets a slot.
But asking for a slot on that mailing list would be the first step.