all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Andreas Röhler" <andreas.roehler@online.de>
To: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Cc: 8317@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#8317: Subject: 24.0.50; sh-script.el took my key
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:30:59 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 22.03.2011 14:04, schrieb Drew Adams:
>> having defined "C-c (" onto some useful function here,
>> when in Shell-script mode `sh-function` took it.
>> Seems bad, as "C-c" should be a reserved key for users.
>
> See (elisp)Coding Conventions.
> The last section quoted here covers `C-c ('.
>
>       Don't define `C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs.  Sequences
>       consisting of `C-c' and a letter (either upper or lower case) are
>       reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences reserved for
>       users, so do not block them.
>
>       Changing all the Emacs major modes to respect this convention was a
>       lot of work; abandoning this convention would make that work go to
>       waste, and inconvenience users.  Please comply with it.

>     * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by a control character or a
>       digit are reserved for major modes.
>
>     * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by `{', `}', `<', `>', `:'
>       or `;' are also reserved for major modes.
>
>     * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by any other punctuation
>       character are allocated for minor modes.  Using them in a major
>       mode is not absolutely prohibited, but if you do that, the major
>       mode binding may be shadowed from time to time by minor modes.

Yeah, thanks all, see it.

BTW maybe have a look nonetheless at

ar-parentized-atpt, ar-bracketed-atpt, ar-braced-atpt

in
thing-at-point-utils.el
of
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components

With `C-c (' for example I get the whole expression reported, copied,
marked, where-ever in parent cursor is.

These just-one-key tools save a lot of time here....

Andreas

--

https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/