all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
To: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, smclean0640@gmail.com
Subject: Re: dragging to resize windows
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:29:46 +0100	[thread overview]

 >> This never happens here so it might be platform specific.  Does modeline
 >> text get highlighted immediately when the mouse hovers over it?
 >
 > No. The mode-line changes its look depending on whether the buffer it
 > belongs to is active (receives input/has the active cursor) or not.

I meant the modeline text, for example, the background of the buffer
name or the major mode.  Does it get highlighted immediately when the
mouse is there?

 >>  Or do you mean that Emacs tries to figure out whether you really want
 >> to drag
 >> the modeline and not do something else?
 >
 > This is my impression.

Here I don't get any visual feedback in terms of a vertical "<-|->" but
I can drag immediately.

 >> Does the behavior differ according to the modeline text portion
 >> displayed at the mouse position?
 >

 > Of course! On some portions a text window pops up, on other portions a
 > pointing hand like cursor is established (load average, major-mode,
 > buffer name,...),

But you don't talk about dragging there, I suppose.

 > on others one with an upward pointing black triangle
 > with a vertical equals sign and a downward pointing black triangle at
 > the bottom. This cursor obviously tells that dragging can now happen,
 > but this change of the cursor's shape is sometimes delayed. Caused by
 > high system load.

So the delay happens before these triangles show up.  But have you tried
to drag before they show up?  Because, as I said before, they never show
up here anyway.

martin