all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-20 20:52 Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa)
From: Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa) @ 2011-02-20 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How prefer horizontal splitting I know:

(when window-system
   ;; Prefer horizontal windows splitting.
   (setq split-height-threshold 0)
   (setq split-width-threshold nil)
   )

But how stop Emacs from splitting when already 2 windows?
So reuse existing window.

For example I edit file (1 window) then M-x compile (2 windows)
then C-x ` (2 windows, *Compilation* and source with error) -
no other window appear.

Emacs 23.1/22.3/21.4 work in such way on Debian, but new Emacs 23.2.1
work different.

For example: open file, C-x v l (new window show log),
d (new window show diff, there are 3 windows now),
M-x man printf RET (new window show man, there 4 windows now).

So how force Emacs display no more that 2 windows at same time?

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-20 23:07 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 20, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa) wrote:

> How prefer horizontal splitting I know:
>
> (when window-system
>  ;; Prefer horizontal windows splitting.
>  (setq split-height-threshold 0)
>  (setq split-width-threshold nil)
>  )
>
> But how stop Emacs from splitting when already 2 windows?
> So reuse existing window.
>
> For example I edit file (1 window) then M-x compile (2 windows)
> then C-x ` (2 windows, *Compilation* and source with error) -
> no other window appear.
>
> Emacs 23.1/22.3/21.4 work in such way on Debian, but new Emacs 23.2.1
> work different.
>
> For example: open file, C-x v l (new window show log),
> d (new window show diff, there are 3 windows now),
> M-x man printf RET (new window show man, there 4 windows now).
>
> So how force Emacs display no more that 2 windows at same time?

This is not exactly what you were asking for.  I wanted to get emacs to
do what it was doing before.  I followed the instructions but found
that it kept creating smaller and smaller windows.  So, now I leave
split-height-threshold alone and do this (this is inside my
.emacs.d/init.el file.

(custom-set-variables
'(split-width-threshold 1600)
)

which basically says "don't split windows vertically".
Setting it to nil didn't have the effect I was looking for.

pedz

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21  7:46 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-02-21  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gavenkoa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > How prefer horizontal splitting I know:
 >

 > (when window-system
 >   ;; Prefer horizontal windows splitting.
 >   (setq split-height-threshold 0)
 >   (setq split-width-threshold nil)
 >   )

This prefers "vertical" splitting in Emacs parlance ;-) But why do you
check for `window-system' and why do you set `split-height-threshold' to
zero?

 > But how stop Emacs from splitting when already 2 windows?
 > So reuse existing window.

Whenever you ask Emacs to display a buffer, it looks at the largest
window on your frame which, since you don't make side-by-side windows,
is the highest window on your frame.  In `window-splittable-p' the
following happens:

	     (>= (window-height window)
		 (max split-height-threshold
		      (* 2 (max window-min-height
				(if mode-line-format 2 1))))))))))

Since `split-height-threshold' is zero, a new window is split off
whenever the height of the largest window (the value of `window-height'
for that window) is at least as large as two times the minimum height of
the largest window (the value of `window-min-height').

Try setting `split-height-threshold' and `split-width-threshold' both to
nil.  This should allow at most two windows on your frames.

martin

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21  7:47 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-02-21  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: pedzsan, help-gnu-emacs

 > This is not exactly what you were asking for.  I wanted to get emacs to
 > do what it was doing before.  I followed the instructions but found

Which instructions?

 > that it kept creating smaller and smaller windows.  So, now I leave
 > split-height-threshold alone and do this (this is inside my
 > .emacs.d/init.el file.
 >
 > (custom-set-variables
 > '(split-width-threshold 1600)
 > )
 >
 > which basically says "don't split windows vertically".

Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)

 > Setting it to nil didn't have the effect I was looking for.

What effect were you looking for?

To avoid that `display-buffer' creates smaller and smaller windows, set
the values of either or both `split-height-threshold' and
`split-width-threshold' to nil or to some larger value.  If this doesn't
work for you there's a bug; so please try to tell us more precisely what
you wanted to do and how it failed.

Thanks, martin

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21 14:15 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-21 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:47 AM, martin rudalics wrote:

> > This is not exactly what you were asking for.  I wanted to get emacs to
> > do what it was doing before.  I followed the instructions but found
>
> Which instructions?

The documentation for split-width-threshold, split-height-threshold, and
split-window-sensibly.  In particular, split-window sensibly says:

You can enforce this function to not split WINDOW horizontally,
by setting (or binding) the variable `split-width-threshold' to
nil.  If, in addition, you set `split-height-threshold' to zero,
chances increase that this function does split WINDOW vertically.

The last sentence prompted me to set split-height-threshold to 0
and that is probably why I constantly got smaller and smaller windows
instead of reusing a previous window.

> > that it kept creating smaller and smaller windows.  So, now I leave
> > split-height-threshold alone and do this (this is inside my
> > .emacs.d/init.el file.
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> > '(split-width-threshold 1600)
> > )
> >
> > which basically says "don't split windows vertically".
>
> Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)

Yea.  I totally don't understand the language here.  A vertically line
creating two windows is splitting it vertically in my pee sized brain.
Sorry about that.

> > Setting it to nil didn't have the effect I was looking for.
>
> What effect were you looking for?

What emacs use to do before split-window-sensibly.

> To avoid that `display-buffer' creates smaller and smaller windows, set
> the values of either or both `split-height-threshold' and
> `split-width-threshold' to nil or to some larger value.  If this doesn't
> work for you there's a bug; so please try to tell us more precisely what
> you wanted to do and how it failed.

At the time, I concluded that it wasn't a bug in the code but just
that I misread / misunderstood the documentation.  I believe I tried
setting split-width-threshold to nil and split-height-threshold (after
trying 0), I tried leaving it alone and it still didn't go back to the
old method.  Setting split-width-threshold to some giant number
seems to take a different path through the code and gives me
the old behavior.

I can experiment more if you want me to and try and recreate
what I was setting.

pedz

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21 17:00   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-02-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > You can enforce this function to not split WINDOW horizontally,
 > by setting (or binding) the variable `split-width-threshold' to
 > nil.  If, in addition, you set `split-height-threshold' to zero,
 > chances increase that this function does split WINDOW vertically.
 >
 > The last sentence prompted me to set split-height-threshold to 0
 > and that is probably why I constantly got smaller and smaller windows
 > instead of reusing a previous window.

Replacing "zero" by "a smaller value" might cause less confusion here.

 >> Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)
 >
 > Yea.  I totally don't understand the language here.  A vertically line
 > creating two windows is splitting it vertically in my pee sized brain.
 > Sorry about that.

I'm afraid every second user interprets this as you did.  Unfortunately,
it's not easy to find a less confusing term here.  We could replace
"horizontally" by "side-by-side" but I have no idea which term to use
instead of "vertically".

 >> What effect were you looking for?
 >
 > What emacs use to do before split-window-sensibly.

Do you use wide frames so Emacs tries to split them into side-by-side
windows?  What are your frame sizes?

 > At the time, I concluded that it wasn't a bug in the code but just
 > that I misread / misunderstood the documentation.  I believe I tried
 > setting split-width-threshold to nil and split-height-threshold (after
 > trying 0), I tried leaving it alone and it still didn't go back to the
 > old method.  Setting split-width-threshold to some giant number
 > seems to take a different path through the code and gives me
 > the old behavior.

If you never want more than two windows per frame the following should
be sufficient:

(setq split-height-threshold nil)

@ 2011-02-21 17:43     ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:00 AM, martin rudalics wrote:

> > You can enforce this function to not split WINDOW horizontally,
> > by setting (or binding) the variable `split-width-threshold' to
> > nil.  If, in addition, you set `split-height-threshold' to zero,
> > chances increase that this function does split WINDOW vertically.
> >
> > The last sentence prompted me to set split-height-threshold to 0
> > and that is probably why I constantly got smaller and smaller windows
> > instead of reusing a previous window.
>
> Replacing "zero" by "a smaller value" might cause less confusion here.
>
> >> Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)
> >
> > Yea.  I totally don't understand the language here.  A vertically line
> > creating two windows is splitting it vertically in my pee sized brain.
> > Sorry about that.
>
> I'm afraid every second user interprets this as you did.  Unfortunately,
> it's not easy to find a less confusing term here.  We could replace
> "horizontally" by "side-by-side" but I have no idea which term to use
> instead of "vertically".

How about "top and bottom" ?

> >> What effect were you looking for?
> >
> > What emacs use to do before split-window-sensibly.
>
> Do you use wide frames so Emacs tries to split them into side-by-side
> windows?  What are your frame sizes?

Yea.  My code is generally 80 columns but I have to widen my frame
extra wide to fit Ruby's error messages into one line.  At that point, emacs
started splitting my screen side-by-side which defected the
whole purpose of a wide frame.

> > At the time, I concluded that it wasn't a bug in the code but just
> > that I misread / misunderstood the documentation.  I believe I tried
> > setting split-width-threshold to nil and split-height-threshold (after
> > trying 0), I tried leaving it alone and it still didn't go back to the
> > old method.  Setting split-width-threshold to some giant number
> > seems to take a different path through the code and gives me
> > the old behavior.
>
> If you never want more than two windows per frame the following should
> be sufficient:
>
> (setq split-height-threshold nil)
> (setq split-width-threshold nil)

Ok.  I'll try that.

Thanks,
pedz

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21 19:03       ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-02-21 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > How about "top and bottom" ?

I think we could use `split-window-side-by-side' instead of
`split-window-horizontally'.  But using `split-window-top-and-bottom'
instead of `split-window-vertically' doesn't sound very intuitive.

 > Yea.  My code is generally 80 columns but I have to widen my frame
 > extra wide to fit Ruby's error messages into one line.  At that point, emacs
 > started splitting my screen side-by-side which defected the
 > whole purpose of a wide frame.

I see.  Is line wrapping for Ruby error messages bad?  Where do you show
them - in a separate window?

martin

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21 22:40   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-21 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-20 23:07, Perry Smith wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa) wrote:
>> So how force Emacs display no more that 2 windows at same time?
>
> I wanted to get emacs to do what it was doing before.
I also.

> I followed the instructions but found
> that it kept creating smaller and smaller windows.
Same things!

>  So, now I leave split-height-threshold alone and do this:
>
> (setq split-width-threshold 1600)
>
> which basically says "don't split windows vertically".
Nice!

> Setting it to nil didn't have the effect I was looking for.

Sad.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-02-21 22:44       ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-21 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-21 17:43, Perry Smith wrote:

>> (setq split-height-threshold nil)
>> (setq split-width-threshold nil)
>
> Ok. I'll try that.

On 4:5 (1280x1024) screen work fine.

Next week test on BAD notebook
with Debian/Emacs 23.2.1/1280x800.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
@ 2011-03-10 12:38         ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-03-10 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22.02.2011 0:44, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 2011-02-21 17:43, Perry Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> (setq split-height-threshold nil)
>>> (setq split-width-threshold nil)
>>
>> Ok. I'll try that.
>>
> On 4:5 (1280x1024) screen work fine.
>
> Next week test on BAD notebook
> with Debian/Emacs 23.2.1/1280x800.

This work well on Emacs 22.3, 23.2.1, both Linux/Windows/Cygwin and
GUI/console.