all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-23 13:11 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-07-23 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
directories?

Currently I'm using copy and delete for small files. I have to resort
to shell to move large files.

Thank you.

--
Leon

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-23 13:20 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-07-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
> command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
> directories?

or even better ;-)

C-h m
C-x o
C-s rename

for the other renaming possibilities.

the following might be helpful when you also want to copy, delete
whole directories:

(setq dired-recursive-copies 'always)
(setq dired-recursive-deletes 'top)	;ask for the top directories

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-23 13:26 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.07.2006 um 15:11 schrieb Leon:

> I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
> command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
> directories?

R -- or rename.

--
Greetings

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-23 13:28 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-07-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:11:19 +0100 Leon wrote:

> I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
> command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
> directories?

R runs the command dired-do-rename

David

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-23 16:42   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-07-23 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Peter and David. I didn't know that it moves files too.

--

@ 2006-07-23 17:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.07.2006 um 18:42 schrieb Leon:

> Thank you Peter and David. I didn't know that it moves files too.

Did you know there is an info node? C-h i RET m emacs RET s dired RET
-- arghh: no mv there!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."
                                              -Donald Knuth

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
       [not found] <mailman.4369.1153660299.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-24  8:16 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-07-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
> command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
> directories?
>
> Currently I'm using copy and delete for small files. I have to resort
> to shell to move large files.

In dired its called 'rename' and bound to r.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: does dired have `mv' command?
@ 2006-07-24 10:43   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-07-24 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm wondering if dired has a function similar to `mv' in GNU/Linux
>> command line. If not, what's the best way of moving files between
>> directories?

> or even better ;-)
>
> C-h m
> C-x o
> C-s rename
>
> for the other renaming possibilities.
>
> the following might be helpful when you also want to copy, delete
> whole directories:
>
> (setq dired-recursive-copies 'always)
> (setq dired-recursive-deletes 'top)	;ask for the top directories

Thanks.

I have used C-h b and search for move before post this. The reason I
didn't try C-h m is because it gives a huge buffer of info that I have
got into the habit of using C-h b instead.

--

@ 2006-07-25 18:53 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2006-07-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

To all the other answers, I'll recommend wdired.el.

I don't know if it can move between directories, but it's great for
renaming files in a directory, as it allows editing the dired buffer
using all the power of emacs.

That is, one can use keyboard macros, search and replace, rectangle mode
(great for adding prefixes to file names), flip mode bits with the
mouse, etc.

@ 2006-07-25 20:04   ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2006-07-25 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I move files all of the time using the rename function of dired. Just
specify a different directory, and the file is moved.

See the documentation for dired-do-rename, mapped typically to R
within a dired buffer.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)