all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-16 10:58 Rajinder Yadav
From: Rajinder Yadav @ 2010-12-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-help

is there a way to get emacs to copy text into a paste buffer as you
type? for example, I would like to type 'null => false' once and be able
to paste into the other lines

   t.string :title, null => false
   t.string :name, null => false
   t.text :post, null => false

Thanks!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-23-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.3

* Re: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
       [not found] <mailman.1.1292497153.3954.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-16 11:27 ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-12-16 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Rajinder

On 16 Dez., 11:58, Rajinder Yadav <devguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there a way to get emacs to copy text into a paste buffer as you
> type? for example, I would like to type 'null => false' once and be able
> to paste into the other lines
>
>    t.string :title, null => false
>    t.string :name, null => false
>    t.text :post, null => false

are you sure that's what you really want?

I think what you really want is snippet expansion. Have a look at
yasnippet, maybe starting with a youtube video.

IMHO it should be possible by using embedded elisp to keep the
variable parts of a line expansion into memory, and to use it as
default in the next line.

Another thing that came into my mind is (reimplementing?) bash's
behaviour for "M-." but  "null => false" are multiple words.

Cheers
  rolf

* RE: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-16 16:49 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Rajinder Yadav', 'emacs-help'

> is there a way to get emacs to copy text into a paste buffer as you
> type? for example, I would like to type 'null => false' once
> and be able to paste into the other lines
>
>    t.string :title, null => false
>    t.string :name, null => false
>    t.text :post, null => false

Yes, but you have to tell it when to start and stop copying.

 C-SPC  n u l l  = >  f a l s e  C-x C-x  C-x C-x  M-w

 Start:
  `C-SPC'    Mark selection beginning.
 Type text.
 Stop:
  `C-x C-x'  Activate selection, swapping mark and point.
  `C-x C-x'  Swap mark and point back again.
  `M-x'      Copy selection to kill-ring (paste buffer).

Then `C-y' to yank (paste) it.

---

If you want to paste the same text multiple times but still be able to select
other text without interfering with what you saved (copied), use the secondary
selection: To select and copy for the secondary selection: drag `mouse-1' with
the Meta key depressed.  To yank it: `M-mouse-2'.

This is particularly useful for replacing selected text here and there (esp. in
delete-selection mode).  E.g., double-click `mouse-1' on a sexp to select it,
then `M-mouse-2' to replace it.  So instead of using `query-replace' you can use
it to change selected occurrences of `null => false' to `hopalong cassidy'.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SecondarySelection

An alternative to using the secondary selection is to use `M-y', perhaps
multiple times, just after you yank (`C-y').  That cycles through previous
kill-ring entries until you get to the one you want.

* Re: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-16 18:07   ` Rajinder Yadav
From: Rajinder Yadav @ 2010-12-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: 'emacs-help' 10

On 10-12-16 11:49 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
>> is there a way to get emacs to copy text into a paste buffer as you
>> type? for example, I would like to type 'null =>  false' once
>> and be able to paste into the other lines
>>
>>     t.string :title, null =>  false
>>     t.string :name, null =>  false
>>     t.text :post, null =>  false
>
> Yes, but you have to tell it when to start and stop copying.
>
>   C-SPC  n u l l  =>   f a l s e  C-x C-x  C-x C-x  M-w
>
>   Start:
>    `C-SPC'    Mark selection beginning.
>   Type text.
>   Stop:
>    `C-x C-x'  Activate selection, swapping mark and point.
>    `C-x C-x'  Swap mark and point back again.
>    `M-x'      Copy selection to kill-ring (paste buffer).
>
> Then `C-y' to yank (paste) it.
>
> ---
>
> If you want to paste the same text multiple times but still be able to select
> other text without interfering with what you saved (copied), use the secondary
> selection: To select and copy for the secondary selection: drag `mouse-1' with
> the Meta key depressed.  To yank it: `M-mouse-2'.
>
> This is particularly useful for replacing selected text here and there (esp. in
> delete-selection mode).  E.g., double-click `mouse-1' on a sexp to select it,
> then `M-mouse-2' to replace it.  So instead of using `query-replace' you can use
> it to change selected occurrences of `null =>  false' to `hopalong cassidy'.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SecondarySelection
>
> An alternative to using the secondary selection is to use `M-y', perhaps
> multiple times, just after you yank (`C-y').  That cycles through previous
> kill-ring entries until you get to the one you want.

Drew,

that works great, although I think you meant 'M-w' instead of 'M-x', thanks!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

* RE: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-16 18:30     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Rajinder Yadav'; +Cc: ''emacs-help' 10'

> Drew, that works great, although I think you meant 'M-w'
> instead of 'M-x', thanks!

Yes, I did; good catch.

* Re: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-20  7:09   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-12-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/16/10 9:49 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
>> is there a way to get emacs to copy text into a paste buffer as you
>> type? for example, I would like to type 'null =>  false' once
>> and be able to paste into the other lines
>>
>>     t.string :title, null =>  false
>>     t.string :name, null =>  false
>>     t.text :post, null =>  false
>
> Yes, but you have to tell it when to start and stop copying.
>
>   C-SPC  n u l l  =>   f a l s e  C-x C-x  C-x C-x  M-w
>
>   Start:
>    `C-SPC'    Mark selection beginning.
>   Type text.
>   Stop:
>    `C-x C-x'  Activate selection, swapping mark and point.
>    `C-x C-x'  Swap mark and point back again.
>    `M-x'      Copy selection to kill-ring (paste buffer).
>
> Then `C-y' to yank (paste) it.

C-SPC and M-w are keyboard commands pertaining to the region, not the selection.

So the 2 C-x C-x commands are not needed.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: copying text into a paste buffer as you type?
@ 2010-12-20 15:09     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Kevin Rodgers', help-gnu-emacs

> >   C-SPC  n u l l  =>   f a l s e  C-x C-x  C-x C-x  M-w
> C-SPC and M-w are keyboard commands pertaining to the region,
> not the selection. So the 2 C-x C-x commands are not needed.

Good point.