all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Highlight non-ASCII characters in bibtex file
@ 2010-12-03 12:31 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-12-03 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I want to convert a UTF8 encoded file to ASCII and replace the
non-ASCII characters.
Is there a way of loading the file into emacs and highlighting all
non-ASCII characters?

Thanks,

Rainer

* Re: Highlight non-ASCII characters in bibtex file
@ 2010-12-03 13:44 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-12-03 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.12.2010 13:31, schrieb Rainer M Krug:
> Hi
>
> I want to convert a UTF8 encoded file to ASCII and replace the
> non-ASCII characters.
> Is there a way of loading the file into emacs and highlighting all
> non-ASCII characters?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

Hi,

thing-at-point-utils.el
  comes with an

`ar-highlight-ascii-atpt-mode'

which should make visible non-ascii in contrast

Should not be far to write the precise thing you are asking for.

Stuff is here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/trunk/files

HTH

Andreas

* Re: Highlight non-ASCII characters in bibtex file
@ 2010-12-03 13:44 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-03 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.12.2010 um 13:31 schrieb Rainer M Krug:

> Is there a way of loading the file into emacs and highlighting all
> non-ASCII characters?

When you try to save the buffer into a file with some 7- (or maybe 8-
bit) encoding, then a *Warning* buffer will be opened with a list of
characters that don't fit into the chosen "ASCII" encoding. Is that
enough? A reg-exp isearch for characters of this list might highlight
them...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

In Deutschland kann es keine Revolution geben, weil mensch dazu den
Rasen betreten müsste.
				(Joseph Stalin)

* Re: Highlight non-ASCII characters in bibtex file
@ 2010-12-03 13:50   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-12-03 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rainer M Krug, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 03.12.2010 um 13:31 schrieb Rainer M Krug:
>
>> Is there a way of loading the file into emacs and highlighting all
>> non-ASCII characters?

Last time we discussed something similar to this i wrote a minor mode
to take care of it. See the file markchars in nXhtml.

* Re: Highlight non-ASCII characters in bibtex file
@ 2010-12-03 14:09     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-12-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/03/2010 02:50 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 03.12.2010 um 13:31 schrieb Rainer M Krug:
>>
>>> Is there a way of loading the file into emacs and highlighting all
>>> non-ASCII characters?
>
> Last time we discussed something similar to this i wrote a minor mode
> to take care of it. See the file markchars in nXhtml.

That sounds like the thing I am looking for - but how can I use it? I am
a beginner when it comes to minor-modes major-modes and the inner emacs
workings.

Rainer