all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2010-11-20 23:27 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-11-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

Just out of curiosity, why STATIC_HEAP_SIZE has been increased to 13 MB
in src/sheap.c, on trunk?

Thanks,
Angelo.

* Re: Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2010-11-21 13:00 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2010-11-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

On 11/20/2010 6:27 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why STATIC_HEAP_SIZE has been increased to 13 MB
> in src/sheap.c, on trunk?

I've been testing the snapshot for what will be Cygwin 1.7.8, and 12MB
is not enough for bootstrapping Emacs on that version of Cygwin.  I
thought it would be best to go ahead and increase the heap size, rather
than wait for people to upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.8 and suddenly find that
bootstrapping fails.

Ken

* Re: Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2010-11-21 15:14   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-11-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Emacs

Il 21/11/2010 14.00, Ken Brown ha scritto:
> On 11/20/2010 6:27 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, why STATIC_HEAP_SIZE has been increased to 13 MB
>> in src/sheap.c, on trunk?
>
> I've been testing the snapshot for what will be Cygwin 1.7.8, and 12MB
> is not enough for bootstrapping Emacs on that version of Cygwin. I
> thought it would be best to go ahead and increase the heap size, rather
> than wait for people to upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.8 and suddenly find that
> bootstrapping fails.

Before the release of 1.7.8 the things can change, so it may be
premature increase STATIC_HEAP_SIZE. The Emacs bootstrap should be
conform to current release of Cygwin, I think.

Anyway we can live with it.

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2010-11-21 15:48     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2010-11-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

On 11/21/2010 10:14 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Il 21/11/2010 14.00, Ken Brown ha scritto:
>> On 11/20/2010 6:27 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>>> Just out of curiosity, why STATIC_HEAP_SIZE has been increased to 13 MB
>>> in src/sheap.c, on trunk?
>>
>> I've been testing the snapshot for what will be Cygwin 1.7.8, and 12MB
>> is not enough for bootstrapping Emacs on that version of Cygwin. I
>> thought it would be best to go ahead and increase the heap size, rather
>> than wait for people to upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.8 and suddenly find that
>> bootstrapping fails.
>
> Before the release of 1.7.8 the things can change, so it may be
> premature increase STATIC_HEAP_SIZE. The Emacs bootstrap should be
> conform to current release of Cygwin, I think.

OK, I don't feel strongly about it.  I've reverted the change.

Ken

* Re: Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2011-03-02 21:37       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-03-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

On 11/21/2010 10:48 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/21/2010 10:14 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been testing the snapshot for what will be Cygwin 1.7.8, and 12MB
>>> is not enough for bootstrapping Emacs on that version of Cygwin. I
>>> thought it would be best to go ahead and increase the heap size, rather
>>> than wait for people to upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.8 and suddenly find that
>>> bootstrapping fails.
>>
>> Before the release of 1.7.8 the things can change, so it may be
>> premature increase STATIC_HEAP_SIZE. The Emacs bootstrap should be
>> conform to current release of Cygwin, I think.
>
> OK, I don't feel strongly about it.  I've reverted the change.

Now that Cygwin 1.7.8 has been released, I've reinstated the change.

Ken

* Re: Heap size [Cygwin]
@ 2011-03-03 14:46         ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2011-03-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Emacs

Il 02/03/2011 22.37, Ken Brown ha scritto:
> On 11/21/2010 10:48 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Before the release of 1.7.8 the things can change, so it may be
>>> premature increase STATIC_HEAP_SIZE. The Emacs bootstrap should be
>>> conform to current release of Cygwin, I think.
>>
>> OK, I don't feel strongly about it. I've reverted the change.
>
> Now that Cygwin 1.7.8 has been released, I've reinstated the change.

Thanks!

Ciao,
Angelo.