all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
To: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Cc: Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com>, 7371@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#7371: odd loadup
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 04:01:27 +0000	[thread overview]

On 11/11/10 21:44, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Rajinder Yadav wrote:

>> 4) emacs does not show up in my kde system menu
>
> The last one is to be expected, since stock Emacs does not know
> anything about how your kde menu is defined.

Actually, there is a fd.o convention for desktop menus that the major
desktop environments AFAIK follow [1]. Emacs already installs a
/usr/local/share/applications/emacs.desktop [*] upon a "make install"
(at least to the default /usr/local) that XFCE4's desktop menu picks up
on my system (at least after relogin or just xfce4-panel -r), showing
Emacs under group "Development".

In a test, KDE4 on my system also appears to pick up the one the emacs
"make install" installed on my system (note that I re-logged in with a
KDE session, which probably implicitly refreshed the menu - if
you[Rajinder] just built and then did a "make install" under KDE, the
KDE desktop menu may just not have noticed the installation of the new
menu entry and may need some sort of a kick), also placing Emacs under
"Development" (but scalling it "Text Editor" with "Emacs" in small grey
text, under some generic-name-first policy).  KDE kappfinder used to
autogenerate an emacs menu entry too if you let it, but I _think_ it was
the one emacs installed that the kde desktop menu was using, not any one
kappfinder ever spat out.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

[*] arguably that should be applications/gnu/emacs.desktop by [1], but I
doubt that makes a difference.