all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* strange error
@ 2010-11-13  2:58 Rajinder Yadav
From: Rajinder Yadav @ 2010-11-13  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-help

Is there a way to force emacs to save in utf-8 ? I was cutting and
pasting code out of emacs and getting strange errors. I then opened up
another editor, pasted in there and then copied out of 2nd editor and
pasted the code and everything was fine, strange error gone!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1

* Re: strange error
@ 2010-11-14  1:05 ` Daniel Pittman
       [not found]   ` <4CDF5854.4090300@gmail.com>
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-11-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to force emacs to save in utf-8 ? I was cutting and pasting
> code out of emacs and getting strange errors. I then opened up another
> editor, pasted in there and then copied out of 2nd editor and pasted the
> code and everything was fine, strange error gone!

You can change the encoding of a buffer with 'C-x RET f', which invokes
`set-buffer-file-coding-system' - that will allow you to set the buffer to
UTF-8 or any other supported encoding.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: strange error
       [not found]     ` <m2wroglfir.fsf@rimspace.net>
@ 2010-11-14  4:23       ` Rajinder Yadav
From: Rajinder Yadav @ 2010-11-14  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-help

On 10-11-13 11:01 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca@gmail.com>  writes:

>>> You can change the encoding of a buffer with 'C-x RET f', which invokes
>>> `set-buffer-file-coding-system' - that will allow you to set the buffer to
>>> UTF-8 or any other supported encoding.
>>
>> Thanks Daniel, just a follow up, is there a way to show what encoding is being
>> used along the bottom status bar?
>
> It should, by default, in the bottom left.  Usually just a one character
> indicator, like the 'U' I see for this UTF-8 buffer. :)
>
> See Info node `(emacs) Mode Line' for details on the interpretation of that.
>          Daniel

hmm not seeing that? i am using a ruby on rails setup with ecb and
cedet, i wonder if one of those are doing something with the mode line.

btw, didn't realize i replied back to you and not the emacs help, doh,
back on the list.

thanks again!
--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

* Re: strange error
@ 2010-11-14  9:42         ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-11-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:
> On 10-11-13 11:01 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca@gmail.com>  writes:

>>> Thanks Daniel, just a follow up, is there a way to show what encoding is being
>>> used along the bottom status bar?
>>
>> It should, by default, in the bottom left.  Usually just a one character
>> indicator, like the 'U' I see for this UTF-8 buffer. :)
>>
>> See Info node `(emacs) Mode Line' for details on the interpretation of that.
>
> hmm not seeing that? i am using a ruby on rails setup with ecb and cedet, i
> wonder if one of those are doing something with the mode line.

I would guess; the indicators are the defaults, not something that gets turned
on post-hoc, so it /should/ be there.

        Daniel

--

@ 2010-11-14 10:13 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-11-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajinder Yadav; +Cc: emacs-help

Am 13.11.2010 um 03:58 schrieb Rajinder Yadav:

> Is there a way to force emacs to save in utf-8 ?

The Options -> Mule -> Set Coding Systems menu has entries.

You could launch GNU Emacs in an UTF-8 environment (LANG and LC_CTYPE
set to some UTF-8 locale).

You could use in your init file:

	(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
				– Albert Einstein

* Re: strange error
@ 2010-11-16 13:48   ` Rajinder Yadav
From: Rajinder Yadav @ 2010-11-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs-help

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 13.11.2010 um 03:58 schrieb Rajinder Yadav:
>
>> Is there a way to force emacs to save in utf-8 ?
>

> The Options -> Mule -> Set Coding Systems menu has entries.
>
> You could launch GNU Emacs in an UTF-8 environment (LANG and LC_CTYPE set to
> some UTF-8 locale).
>
> You could use in your init file:
>
>        (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
>                                – Albert Einstein

Thanks Pete, I'll set that up!