all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Jan Djärv" <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
To: "Andrew W. Nosenko" <andrew.w.nosenko@gmail.com>
Cc: CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:26:58 +0100	[thread overview]

2010-11-10 01:42, Andrew W. Nosenko skrev:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11, Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  wrote:
>>> From: CHENG Gao<chenggao@cyberhut.org>
>>> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800
>>>
>>> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
>>> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
>>> Mozilla, Galeon.
>>
>> Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
>> to remove them?
>
> While I see no problems in a half screen page full of Mosaic-related
> tuning (despiete of clutter of space and confusion of non so age-old
> user, which may be born after gopher become defunct), I _personally_
> see a problem in total absence of the more widespread browsers like
> Chrome/Chromium or Safari.

The default for OSX is to use the system default browser, so that will be
Safari if it is the default.  On systems that have xdg-open (most GNU/Linux
versions nowdays), the default browser is also used.  If that is Chrome, it
will be opened.

IMHO, the way to go is to use the system default, not add more browsers.

	Jan D.