all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp problems with Emacs 24
@ 2010-11-04 19:21 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-11-04 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use TRAMP quite a bit, but lately I have noticed often it fails to
write the files when I save from time to time with `C-x C-s'.Sometimes
it hangs trying to save and I have to quit with `C-g' and repeat the
command. Rarely I even need to kill the buffer and reopen it to go
back to normal. Also I can't use many of the vc-git-* comands like,
`(vc-print-log)' or `(vc-print-root-log)'. It gets stuck with a
message like this,

> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>  -  (press RETURN)

The buffer then gets stuck and I have to kill it. On doing so, I get
prompted like this "Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n) y"

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I am using emacs with
`(setq debug-on-error t)', but still I don't see a backtrace when
these happen. Any ideas how to debug this?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Tramp problems with Emacs 24
@ 2010-11-04 19:56 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-11-04 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I use TRAMP quite a bit, but lately I have noticed often it fails to
> write the files when I save from time to time with `C-x C-s'.Sometimes
> it hangs trying to save and I have to quit with `C-g' and repeat the
> command. Rarely I even need to kill the buffer and reopen it to go
> back to normal. Also I can't use many of the vc-git-* comands like,
> `(vc-print-log)' or `(vc-print-root-log)'. It gets stuck with a
> message like this,
>
>> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>>  -  (press RETURN)
>
> The buffer then gets stuck and I have to kill it. On doing so, I get
> prompted like this "Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n) y"
>
> Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I am using emacs with
> `(setq debug-on-error t)', but still I don't see a backtrace when
> these happen. Any ideas how to debug this?

With (setq debug-on-quit t) you get a backtrace when you apply C-g.

The usual way debugging Tramp is to set tramp-verbose to 6. This will
produce a debug buffer, which you can show at tramp-devel@gnu.org. The
best way to report a Tramp bug is to call "M-x tramp-bug"; this prepares
an email, including information for analysis.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp problems with Emacs 24
@ 2010-11-04 19:58   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-11-04 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 04 November 2010 12:56 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> With (setq debug-on-quit t) you get a backtrace when you apply C-g.
>
> The usual way debugging Tramp is to set tramp-verbose to 6. This will
> produce a debug buffer, which you can show attramp-devel@gnu.org. The
> best way to report a Tramp bug is to call "M-x tramp-bug"; this prepares
> an email, including information for analysis.

Thanks Michael. I will follow these steps next time I encounter the problem.

--

@ 2010-11-04 20:03     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-11-04 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Michael. I will follow these steps next time I encounter the problem.

Maybe you shall set tramp-verbose *before* ...

Best regards, Michael.