all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* describe the entries of a menu
@ 2010-10-25  6:45 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2010-10-25  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous for describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).

Thanks in advance,

Alin.

  Retrouvez les secrets, les photos, les actus de Secret Story sur : http://people.voila.fr/evenementiel/secret-story2010/

* Re: describe the entries of a menu
@ 2010-10-25  8:13 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4.1288898066.29999.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1287995425.12753.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-25  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

Hi Alin,

> I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous
> for describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).

Then do it exactly as for keys, that is, hit `C-h k' and then klick on
the menu entry you are interested in.

,----[ C-h k <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe> <describe-key-1> ]
| <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe> <describe-key-1> runs the command
| describe-key, which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `help.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-h k, <f1> k, <help> k, <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe>
| <describe-key-1>.
|
| (describe-key &optional KEY UNTRANSLATED UP-EVENT)
|
| Display documentation of the function invoked by KEY.
| KEY can be any kind of a key sequence; it can include keyboard events,
| mouse events, and/or menu events.  When calling from a program,
| pass KEY as a string or a vector.
|
| If non-nil, UNTRANSLATED is a vector of the corresponding untranslated events.
| It can also be a number, in which case the untranslated events from
| the last key sequence entered are used.
| UP-EVENT is the up-event that was discarded by reading KEY, or nil.
|
| If KEY is a menu item or a tool-bar button that is disabled, this command
| temporarily enables it to allow getting help on disabled items and buttons.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: describe the entries of a menu
@ 2010-10-25  8:18 ` Daniel Pittman
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1287995425.12753.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-10-25  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous for
> describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).

    C-h k <mouse to the menu> <click the item you want>

Not exactly intuitive, but actually effective. :)

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

@ 2010-10-26  2:46   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2010-10-26  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-10-25, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>> I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous for
>> describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).

>     C-h k <mouse to the menu> <click the item you want>
> Not exactly intuitive, but actually effective. :)

I think it must be simplified.  Pressing F1 when the entry of the menu
is "focused" should better have similar effect.

  Likewise for prefix-keys which do not bind F1 (in -nw case, prefix
  keys which do not bind Esc; alternatively, some "unwind" logic must be
  put into prefices which bind Esc, but do not bind Esc-[ and Esc-O).

And for the best result, my "progressive escalation of help" doctrine
should be applied (is it actually mine?  It should have beed
pre-discovered many times...).

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg18821.html

E.g., in Emacs case, the first press of F1 should show the name of the
bound function and "press F1 again for more help".  The second press
should show the name of the function, the first line of the docstring,
and the same message.  The last press would show a *Help* buffer.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: describe the entries of a menu
@ 2010-11-04 19:14   ` Alin Soare
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4.1288898066.29999.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-11-04 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tassilo <at> member.fsf.org> writes:

> "A. Soare" <alinsoar <at> voila.fr> writes:
>
> Hi Alin,
>
> > I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous
> > for describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).
>
> Then do it exactly as for keys, that is, hit `C-h k' and then klick on
> the menu entry you are interested in.

Thanks. I am afraid I wrongly expressed my question.

Example:

I have the menu trigered by C-mouse1, which is associated by default to
mouse-buffer-menu.

If I press C-hk, and try to discover like that the associatiions, I never get
the entries of the menu, because C-hk stops aftre I press the button to open the
menu.

On the other hide, I cannot press C-hk when the menu is active.

It is more clear what I want to ask now.

Thanks in advance for an answer,

Alin.

* Re: describe the entries of a menu
@ 2010-11-04 19:56     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-11-04 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.11.2010 20:14, schrieb Alin Soare:
> Tassilo Horn<tassilo<at>  member.fsf.org>  writes:
>

>> "A. Soare"<alinsoar<at>  voila.fr>  writes:
>>
>> Hi Alin,
>>
>>> I wish to find the bindings of the entries of a menu. ( the analogous
>>> for describe-key (C-h k) for keys ).
>>
>> Then do it exactly as for keys, that is, hit `C-h k' and then klick on
>> the menu entry you are interested in.
>

> Thanks. I am afraid I wrongly expressed my question.
>
> Example:
>
> I have the menu trigered by C-mouse1, which is associated by default to
> mouse-buffer-menu.
>
> If I press C-hk, and try to discover like that the associatiions, I never get
> the entries of the menu, because C-hk stops aftre I press the button to open the
> menu.
>
> On the other hide, I cannot press C-hk when the menu is active.

Hi,

why you can't?
Let's assume you can, but don't see an answer as expected, right?

Andreas

@ 2010-11-05 14:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-11-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If I press C-hk, and try to discover like that the associatiions,
> I never get the entries of the menu, because C-hk stops aftre I press
> the button to open the menu.

Yes, I think such things are bugs, so you should report them.
Some pop-up menus work correctly and others don't, depending on how
they're built.