all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Epileptic flashing
@ 2010-08-17 20:24 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

While I was writing this of course and now it started again.
In short in this moment after every key I press my frame flashes.

I can't say how annoying that is, almost impossible to use.

Then sometimes it stops again, but I can't really understand what
started it and how I stopped it.

On version

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.29) of
2010-05-09 on linc

Thanks...

* Re: Epileptic flashing
@ 2010-08-17 20:31 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I was writing this of course and now it started again.
> In short in this moment after every key I press my frame flashes.
>
> I can't say how annoying that is, almost impossible to use.
>
> Then sometimes it stops again, but I can't really understand what
> started it and how I stopped it.
>
> On version
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.29) of
> 2010-05-09 on linc
>
> Thanks...

Is the cursor blinking very fast?

* Re: Epileptic flashing
@ 2010-08-17 20:36 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-08-17 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti wrote:
> While I was writing this of course and now it started again.
> In short in this moment after every key I press my frame flashes.
>
> I can't say how annoying that is, almost impossible to use.
>
> Then sometimes it stops again, but I can't really understand what
> started it and how I stopped it.

Potentially related to:

visible-bell is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
*Non-nil means try to flash the frame to represent a bell.

What is your variable `visible-bell` set to?

* Re: Epileptic flashing
@ 2010-08-17 21:43   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Potentially related to:
>
> visible-bell is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> Its value is t
>
> Documentation:
> *Non-nil means try to flash the frame to represent a bell.
>
> What is your variable `visible-bell` set to?

Yes it was t, it was in my configuration for some reason (to disable the
beep probably).
Anyway even setting to nil is still flashing.
But I understood the problem, it does that when on the current frame one
of the windows is an erc buffer where something is happening and I'm
taking enough care.

Strangely if the buffers are not visible it doesn't do it...