all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org, mstemplinger@gmx.de
Subject: Re: emacs-20100802 windows binaries
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:39:02 -0600	[thread overview]

Hallo Martin!

On 8/6/2010 1:34 PM, Martin Stemplinger wrote:

> After a usual configure, make bootstrap, make install (using mingw on a
> Vista machine) emacs worked fine including image support as desired.
>
> I had some difficulties using "make dist" on the sources from August, 5th.

Did you use the --distfiles option to specify the location of the image
library (libXpm.dll) with configure.bat?

For example, like this

configure.bat --distfiles C:\DistFileDir

This will set the DIST_FILES variable in the makefile and is necessary
in order to use `make dist'.

> Here is what I had to do to make it work:
> 1) Delete the line $(CP_DIR) $(DIST_FILES) $(TMP_DIST_DIR)/bin because
> DIST_FILES is not set in the makefile
> 2) Copy the files BUGS, COPYING,README,README.W32 and INSTALL into the
> installation directory which is not part of make install.

Looks to me like you forgot the --distfiles option. That's why the
makefile does not contain the DIST_FILES variable. You should not have
to manually copy anything. Also note, that this is not supposed to do
what `make install' does. It is supposed to conveniently build and
package a Windows distribution in a .zip file, which then has to be
unzipped to the installation location. You also need 7zip on the path
for this to work.

In an updated trunk checkout, I just did

bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --force
configure.bat --no-cygwin --enable-checking --with-gcc --distfiles
D:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\src\libXpm.dll --cflags
-IC:\Progra~2\GnuWin32\include --cflags
-ID:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\include --cflags
-ID:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\src
mingw32-make bootstrap
mingw32-make dist

and it worked fine.