all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Meaning of ": Use it"
@ 2010-08-03  7:41 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-08-03  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

for example in ChangeLog.12, line 2470, it's written

     (gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.

Does the term "Use it" have a special meaning with
respect to execution? Does it mean something like implicit?

Thanks

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: Meaning of ": Use it"
       [not found] <mailman.1.1280821393.29574.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-03  8:24 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-03  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> for example in ChangeLog.12, line 2470, it's written
>
>     (gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.
>
> Does the term "Use it" have a special meaning with
> respect to execution? Does it mean something like implicit?

Huh?  I don't understand a word of what you are saying.  What execution?
And what meaning of "implicit"?  Try harder to make at least a minimum
amount of sense.

Anyway, the ChangeLog entry is quite clear if you read it in context:

	(gdb-max-frames): New variable.
	(gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.

This means that a new variable gdb-max-frames has been introduced, and
that the functions gdb-stack-buffer and gdb-frames-select have been
changed to make use of this new variable.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Meaning of ": Use it"
@ 2010-08-03  9:49 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-08-03  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> for example in ChangeLog.12, line 2470, it's written
>
>     (gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.
>
> Does the term "Use it" have a special meaning with respect to
> execution? Does it mean something like implicit?

You've put it out of context.  The complete ChangeLog entry is as
follows:

2007-01-21  Nick Roberts  <nickrob@snap.net.nz>

	* progmodes/gdb-ui.el (gdb-var-create-regexp)
	(gdb-var-create-handler): Handle value field in GDB output of
	-var-create.
	(gdb-max-frames): New variable.
	(gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.
	(gdb-info-stack-custom): Help user customize gdb-max-frames,
	if necessary.
	(gdb-get-frame-number): Simplify.

So before the "Use it" line, a new variable `gdb-max-frames' was
introduced.  The two functions `gdb-stack-buffer' and
`gdb-frames-select' were changed to *use it* then.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Meaning of ": Use it"
@ 2010-08-03 10:35   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-08-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.08.2010 11:49, schrieb Tassilo Horn:
> Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler@online.de>  writes:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> for example in ChangeLog.12, line 2470, it's written
>>
>>      (gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.
>>
>> Does the term "Use it" have a special meaning with respect to
>> execution? Does it mean something like implicit?
>
> You've put it out of context.  The complete ChangeLog entry is as
> follows:

> 2007-01-21  Nick Roberts<nickrob@snap.net.nz>
>
> 	* progmodes/gdb-ui.el (gdb-var-create-regexp)
> 	(gdb-var-create-handler): Handle value field in GDB output of
> 	-var-create.
> 	(gdb-max-frames): New variable.
> 	(gdb-stack-buffer, gdb-frames-select): Use it.
> 	(gdb-info-stack-custom): Help user customize gdb-max-frames,
> 	if necessary.
> 	(gdb-get-frame-number): Simplify.
>
> So before the "Use it" line, a new variable `gdb-max-frames' was
> introduced.  The two functions `gdb-stack-buffer' and
> `gdb-frames-select' were changed to *use it* then.

Thanks,

so I understand:  *use it* relates to newly introduced forms upward the
current line.

Was not obvious for me, sorry. :)

Andreas