all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* windows build env
@ 2010-07-25 16:05 David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2010-07-25 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing
their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?

I'm looking again at building emacs under wine with mingw/gnuwin32/msys.
  The wine-1.2 release seems to have a heap of improvements and things
are nearly working - I have a running wine-built emacs but still had to
intervene during build to kill a few hung/crashed processes, during
compilation of lisp/hilit-chg.el,  eshell, tramp and vc.

apart from some annoying wine cmd.exe deficiencies, it seems to be just
diff/patch and networking spawned processes that are sulking, but I'm
thinking maybe that's because I've got the "wrong" ones installed
(particularly suspicious of the msys stuff).

e.g. hung process during build of lisp/hilit-chg.el :
     msys\1.0\bin\patch.exe -z. b

* Re: windows build env
@ 2010-07-25 17:19 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-07-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: David De La Harpe Golden

David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net> writes:

> Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing
> their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?

AFAIK, the contents of nt/INSTALL are reasonably up to date.

[snip]

> e.g. hung process during build of lisp/hilit-chg.el :
>     msys\1.0\bin\patch.exe -z. b

Does the w32 build invoke patch? This is news to me and not mentioned on
nt/INSTALL.

* Re: windows build env
@ 2010-07-25 17:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: Emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:05:28 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
>
> Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing
> their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?

You should find the info in nt/INSTALL.

> I'm looking again at building emacs under wine with mingw/gnuwin32/msys.

Don't use MSYS, it will cause you grief.  You don't need it.

* Re: windows build env
@ 2010-07-25 18:31   ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2010-07-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 25/07/10 18:19, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> David De La Harpe Golden<david@harpegolden.net>  writes:
>
>> Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing
>> their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?
>
> AFAIK, the contents of nt/INSTALL are reasonably up to date.
>
> [snip]
>
>> e.g. hung process during build of lisp/hilit-chg.el :
>>      msys\1.0\bin\patch.exe -z. b
>
> Does the w32 build invoke patch? This is news to me and not mentioned on
> nt/INSTALL.

Appears to on my system. Discovery of external shell tools for various
packages I guess.

Anyway, it was the msys patch and Eli's no doubt right with "do not use
msys" - it seems to have its own not-cygwin not-windows take on path
mangling among other things.

For the record, bearing in mind I'm going to be taking msys out of the
loop next attempt:

Files hanging with a "msys\1.0\bin\patch -z. b" process during build

lisp/hilit-chg.el
vc/ediff-diff.el
vc/ediff-merg.el
vc/ediff-mult.el
vc/ediff-ptch.el
vc/ediff-util.el
vc/ediff.el

Files where something segfaults, but I didn't catch what. However,
eshell was probably trying to find external unix command line tools and
would have found bits of msys, and tramp was probably trying to find
stuff like rsh, ssh etc. and again would have found bits of msys:

lisp/net/tramp-cmds.el
lisp/net/tramp-fish.el
lisp/net/tramp-ftp.el
lisp/net/tramp-gvfs.el