all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-14 12:25 ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

When starting up emacs, messages come into the minibuffer, notifying me
that emacs is "Fontifying" this file and that.  These messages overwrite
other, more important messages.  And I don't need to know that emacs is
fontifying some file or other.  By now, after seeing these messages for
months every time I start up emacs (and also while it's running), I'm
aware that emacs is fontifying this and that file.  So how do I stop
these messages from showing up in the minibuffer.  It's okay, perhaps
even desirable that they appear in the *Messages* buffer though.

Thanks for the help.

--
Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

* Re: Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-14 12:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:25:48 -0400
> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>
> So how do I stop
> these messages from showing up in the minibuffer.

Customize font-lock-verbose to nil?

* Re: Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-14 14:03   ` ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 07/14/2010 08:35 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:25:48 -0400
>> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>>
>> So how do I stop
>> these messages from showing up in the minibuffer.
>
> Customize font-lock-verbose to nil?

Thanks, Eli.  Did that, restarted emacs, but got the same "Fontifying
..." messages. "C-h v font-lock-verbose" says:

font-lock-verbose is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
Its value is nil

After customizing, I didn't find this variable in my ~/.emacs though.
So I put it in manually, at the bottom just above the
"(custom-set-variables..." block, like this:

(setq font-lock-verbose nil)

But still no happy-happy.  (Still getting "Fontifying....")

Moved the function to the top of .emacs.... Same deal.

* Re: Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-14 15:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:03:24 -0400
> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>
> Thanks, Eli.  Did that, restarted emacs, but got the same "Fontifying
> ..." messages. "C-h v font-lock-verbose" says:
>
> font-lock-verbose is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
> Its value is nil
>
> After customizing, I didn't find this variable in my ~/.emacs though.
> So I put it in manually, at the bottom just above the
> "(custom-set-variables..." block, like this:
>
> (setq font-lock-verbose nil)
>
> But still no happy-happy.  (Still getting "Fontifying....")
>
> Moved the function to the top of .emacs.... Same deal.

Something else is at work here.  Can you repeat this with "emacs -Q"?

And what Emacs version is that, btw?

* Re: Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-14 16:43       ` ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 07/14/2010 11:01 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:03:24 -0400
>> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>>
>> Thanks, Eli.  Did that, restarted emacs, but got the same "Fontifying
>> ..." messages. "C-h v font-lock-verbose" says:
>>
>> font-lock-verbose is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
>> Its value is nil
>>
>> After customizing, I didn't find this variable in my ~/.emacs though.
>> So I put it in manually, at the bottom just above the
>> "(custom-set-variables..." block, like this:
>>
>> (setq font-lock-verbose nil)
>>
>> But still no happy-happy.  (Still getting "Fontifying....")
>>
>> Moved the function to the top of .emacs.... Same deal.
>
> Something else is at work here.  Can you repeat this with "emacs -Q"?
>
> And what Emacs version is that, btw?

Found the problem... I use an old version of html-helper-mode... I don't
think it's supported anymore.  But I've customized it quite a bit and
I'm very used to it, so I'm going to keep on using it.

So anyway, this old html-helper-mode had the "(message "Fontifying ..."
in it, so I just commented out those parts.  (Hope I didn't comment out
some good code along with it, but we'll see on that.)

Thanks very much for the help tracking this down.

* Re: Stop minibuffer display of "Fontifying..." ? ?
@ 2010-07-16 21:29         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2010-07-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:
> Found the problem... I use an old version of html-helper-mode... I don't
> think it's supported anymore.  But I've customized it quite a bit and
> I'm very used to it, so I'm going to keep on using it.
>
> So anyway, this old html-helper-mode had the "(message "Fontifying ..."
> in it, so I just commented out those parts.  (Hope I didn't comment out
> some good code along with it, but we'll see on that.)
>
> Thanks very much for the help tracking this down.

Thank you very much for this discussion.  I just saw it and read it
carefully because that "Fontifying..." behavior has been annoying me
for some time too.

After you tracked it down to html-helper-mode I looked at my own too.
I am using Debian Sid's html-helper-mode version 3.0.4kilo which
appears to be the latest available.  The web site

  http://www.nongnu.org/baol-hth/index.html

lists 3.0.4jolly as the latest stable with a beta available.  I
checked both kilo and joly versions and both have that annoying
"Fontifying..." behavior.  But now with your help I know what I need
to do to fix the problem.

I decided to post this message just to get into the archive
information about Debian's package.  Also your phrase "use an old
version of" led me to believe that a newer fixed version was
available.  But as far as I can tell there isn't a fixed upstream
version available.  Oh well.

Bob