all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bookmarks and find-file
@ 2010-07-12 10:08 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-07-12 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm still looking for the holy grail of fast access...
The thing is that now I have my nice bookmarks to some directories, but
when I do find-file (ido-find-file actually) I have no access to them.

So what I normally do is just jump to the bookmark and then find-file
from there, which is a bit slow...
Any idea to make them work together?

Something like
C-x C-f <bookmark name>/file.xyz
would be nice...

* Re: bookmarks and find-file
       [not found] <mailman.1.1278929318.1714.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-12 20:16 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2010-07-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/12/10 6:08 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I'm still looking for the holy grail of fast access...
> The thing is that now I have my nice bookmarks to some directories, but
> when I do find-file (ido-find-file actually) I have no access to them.
>

> So what I normally do is just jump to the bookmark and then find-file
> from there, which is a bit slow...
> Any idea to make them work together?
>
> Something like
> C-x C-f<bookmark name>/file.xyz
> would be nice...

Here's what I do:

http://scottfrazersblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/emacs-using-bookmarked-directories.html

Scott

* Re: bookmarks and find-file
@ 2010-07-12 20:46 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-07-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

hi Andrea,
Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm still looking for the holy grail of fast access...

I find anything to be quite cool, loads of oportunity for you to plug
your own sources behaving the way you want, very extensible.

> The thing is that now I have my nice bookmarks to some directories, but
> when I do find-file (ido-find-file actually) I have no access to them.
>

> So what I normally do is just jump to the bookmark and then find-file
> from there, which is a bit slow...
> Any idea to make them work together?
>
> Something like
> C-x C-f <bookmark name>/file.xyz
> would be nice...

You can check it out on:
- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Anything

cheers,
Glauber.

* Re: bookmarks and find-file
@ 2010-07-13 11:04 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2010-07-13 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm still looking for the holy grail of fast access...
> The thing is that now I have my nice bookmarks to some directories, but
> when I do find-file (ido-find-file actually) I have no access to them.
>

> So what I normally do is just jump to the bookmark and then find-file
> from there, which is a bit slow...
> Any idea to make them work together?
>
> Something like
> C-x C-f <bookmark name>/file.xyz
> would be nice...

a rather crude solution (that works) would be to put
(setenv "bm1" "mydirectory1")
(setenv "bm2" "mydirectory2")

in your .emacs

then you could do: