all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Gabriel TEIXEIRA <gabriel_teixeira@sdesigns.eu>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Scrolling text erases the search highlight
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:33:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 13/07/2010 09:14, Deniz Dogan wrote:

> 2010/7/12 Qiang Guo<mcknight0219@gmail.com>:
>
>> You may want to check variable 'isearch-allow-scroll'
>>

> This is a good suggestion. But you may also want to know about "M-s o".
>
> M-s o runs the command occur, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
> function in `replace.el'.
>
> It is bound to M-s o.
>
> (occur REGEXP&optional NLINES)
>
> Show all lines in the current buffer containing a match for REGEXP.
> This function can not handle matches that span more than one line.

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the multiple messages, the M-s o is

very useful, but the isearch-allow-scroll doesn't work very well with me. It
will conserve the search if I do C-l or C-v, but won't if I use the mouse
scroll wheel or if I use the arrow keys to move the cursor (which are the
way I scroll the screen mostly). I want something that works similar to the
Linux man search, the vim or the gedit, that conserves the highlight as long
as the search is erased. Any other suggestions?