all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: How to get properly quoted messages in replies?
@ 2011-11-23 13:37 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-23 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

If I reply to a message in Gnus via "R", I see the quoted text I got sent, so for example:

> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar interesting bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

Now assume you want to address precisely the word "interesting". Then you most likely want to navigate right to the end of this word and hit enter to create some space to answer. What you expect is something like this (or even a correctly "filled" version of that):

> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar interesting
> bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

But what I get is:

> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar interesting
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

This is quite annoying since I first have to navigate to the beginning of the line "bar foo…" and insert a ">" in order to make it clear that this is not some text I wrote.

Is there any way to solve that?

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: Gnus: How to get properly quoted messages in replies?
@ 2011-11-23 15:26 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> But what I get is:
>
>> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
>> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar interesting
> bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
>> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
>> foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
>
> This is quite annoying since I first have to navigate to the beginning of the
> line "bar foo…" and insert a ">" in order to make it clear that this is not
> some text I wrote.
>
> Is there any way to solve that?

Yeah, hit M-RET.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Gnus: How to get properly quoted messages in replies?
@ 2011-11-23 15:49   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tassilo,

... and it even fills in blank lines -- that's pretty awesome!

Cheers,

Marius