all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-05 18:37 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2010-07-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I created a macro and named it 'foo.' How do I call this macro by name when I want to apply it to a number of lines, somewhat like when you use M-x apply-macro-to-region-lines, but only I want to be able to tell it to use 'foo,' and not just have it use the last macro defined. Thanks!

* Re: apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-05 19:28 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-07-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.07.2010 um 20:37 schrieb Corey Foote:

> I want to apply it to a number of lines

Mark these lines, then apply the macro on this region.

--
Greetings

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

* Re: apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-05 19:33   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-07-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday 05 July 2010 12:28 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.07.2010 um 20:37 schrieb Corey Foote:
>
>> I want to apply it to a number of lines
>

> Mark these lines, then apply the macro on this region.

`M-x foo'

--
Suvayu

* RE: apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-06  1:17     ` Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2010-07-06  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fatkasuvayu+linux, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, but that only applies the macro to the last line of the region. I want it to apply it to every line within the region.

@ 2010-07-06  2:40       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-07-06  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday 05 July 2010 06:17 PM, Corey Foote wrote:

> Thanks, but that only applies the macro to the last line of the region. I want it to apply it to every line within the region.

How about you mark the region, then `M-='. This runs
`count-lines-region'. And then run `M-<no_of_lines> M-x foo'

Its not very clean but that should do it.

--
Suvayu

* Re: apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-06  2:47         ` Pranav Peshwe
From: Pranav Peshwe @ 2010-07-06  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Monday 05 July 2010 06:17 PM, Corey Foote wrote:
>

>> Thanks, but that only applies the macro to the last line of the region. I
>> want it to apply it to every line within the region.
>>

> How about you mark the region, then `M-='. This runs `count-lines-region'.
> And then run `M-<no_of_lines> M-x foo'
>
> Its not very clean but that should do it.

That will work fine provided that the macro itself contains a command to
move to the next/previous line. Otherwise the same action will be done n
times on the one line the macro was run on.

HTH.

-Pranav

@ 2010-07-06  2:52           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-07-06  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pranav Peshwe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday 05 July 2010 07:47 PM, Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> That will work fine provided that the macro itself contains a command to
> move to the next/previous line. Otherwise the same action will be done n
> times on the one line the macro was run on.

Isn't that one of the first things we learn when we learnt how to record
a keyboard macro?

"Always make sure after the macro is done, we end up in a position so
that the entire thing can be repeated again."

--
Suvayu

* Re: apply macro to region lines by name
@ 2010-07-06  2:57             ` Pranav Peshwe
From: Pranav Peshwe @ 2010-07-06  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs